Robyn's solo x/c navex (video)

My wife Robyn has nearly finished her training for her pilots licence. Here is a short video of her solo cross country. The camera shut down before take off, she noticed this during the flight and restarted it but she didn't clip it all the way in. This allowed the camera to vibrate and cause some shimmering in the video.

The private strip is a little over 1000' long and very narrow. This is not her training field but she had done some take off and landings at the CFI's private strip before. Watch her reaction after landing back at his field.

• Like 5

As you know Kyle, Lynfield does not have a windsock. Robyn had worked it out by the water and some smoke that the wind was about 15*-20-* off her port bow, so she came in a little hot expecting to loose the wind below the trees. You could tell by her couple of floating bounces before settling that it was probably a little too hot as the wind was funnelling down the strip. But that was better than dropping it in if she had lost the wind.

I'm proud that she tackled the Lynfield strip as there has been a lot of experienced pilots that have refused to land there!

Bob Dennis

RAA registered RV9a

All my training flights start and end there and it sure does look narrow when coming in on final. A powered approach is always used when landing at Lynfield. It makes for good practice on keeping to the centre line and really makes you use the rudder.

Yes Lynfield scared the crap out of me the first few time I went there. Still I feel uncomfortable about landing there but it just makes you put that aircraft in the piece of sky it must be in otherwise your in the trees. It makes you a much more accurate pilot

• 1 month later...

Was speaking to Kev today after a training flight about this post and he asked me to mention that all his students learn to take off and land at Lynfield and all within the 20hr period.

I for one wouldn't have it any other way and will most likely make it the home field for my own planes.

• Agree 1