hi all. new Streak Shadow owner.

huggy98

g'day. im mark, a pommy from bundy and im the proud new owner of a shiny, red, jabba powered, streak shadow. no 19-917. im a student pilot and ive just started circuits. ive just spent the night in my car hooked upto the trailer at a servo in gympie. I heard there was a couple there so I was taking mine to show the other owners (and try to get a sneaky test flight in theres) but unfortunately I woke upto a cricked neck and some pommy weather and an abandoned airstrip. nevermind maybe next time. hello all.bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gifIMGP0122.JPG.bf8464b0c00a5456537cc8721fe6ba70.JPG

1370606355_bad_mood1.gif.9f64e52f4599d624f90f60102bdea4ee.gif

• Winner 1

Hi huggy. Yes indeed, my Streak Shadow does reside at Gympie. The only one, as far as I know.

Sorry about this morning, but I was curled up warm (and dry) this morning. Raised an eyelid at 5am, heard the rain on the roof, and rolled back to sleep. Bugger!!

Shame to miss you, I would have liked to see that Streak in the flesh. I understand it has a reversing camera - but bugger me, I cant find reverse gear on my Streak.

I'll have to get you to take some closeup pictures of the tail wheel (most streaks/shadows just use a tail skid).

And if you're after some solid info about your plane, try this english site >> http://forums.bmaa.org/default.aspx?f=45

Cheers

Gerry

hi m8. the reverse gear is just below your hover selector switch. 015_yelrotflmao.gif.6321765c1c50ed62b69cf7a7fe730c49.gif its actually a small camera located under the boom pointing at the motor. for monitoring things like oil leaks, excessive smoke, cowling and anything else you really don't want to see. ive only viewed it inside the trailer but it seems to have a good view all around and below the plane. it is viewed on a small screen attached to the inside of the canopy. ill sort you out some pics of the tail wheel, and if your going to be there next week I might have a drive down with it. or you could always have a fly upto bundy. thanks for the link, ill check it out.

g'day. im mark, a pommy from bundy and im the proud new owner of a shiny, red, jabba powered, streak shadow]

G`Day Mark, Nice looking aircraft. I`ve flown the Streak Shadow and I was impressed. If that`s the one I`m thinking of, I looked at it when I was down there quite a while back to test fly a Sky Dart for a guy was looking to buy it and he did.

Frank.

hi guys. cheers. Guernsey. I had to read your reply a couple of times cos it didn't make sense. then I looked again at the photo and I see what you mean. it is a nice photo and the shadow of the shadow wasn't planned. in fact I would have struggled to get it that good. cheers. horse feathers. I have taken some pics for you of the reversing camera and the tail wheel. the wheel rotates, but doesn't castor. PART_1392014763839.jpeg.a68511b4df796d0c69a16a58d64c55af.jpeg the pic looking at the prop was taken with my phone against the camera. the real view is a wider angle and gives a better view around the aircraft. (apart from the front) the last one is a pic of me and my girl "Sheila" (dick dastardly and mutly) see the resemblance?

IMG_20140210_121518.jpg.c12147749082d51a15d6f2026f168275.jpg

692735990_PART_1392014704697(1).jpeg.ac76d64f57dd43cfb90801a688768754.jpeg

1814981593_IMG_20140210_121446(1).jpg.822c55546eb502ce6de730fbfda22f81.jpg

unnamed.jpg.926a055d4b059fcb8dfcd1501b94194d.jpg

images.jpg.76f6629b242cbff3c554dcbc3f6d16e6.jpg

Guest Andys@coffs

Jabiru engines can be hard to keep cool when they are used in tractor config and force fed cooling air by prop and forward motion...In a pusher Im aware of a number of aircraft that tried and gave up on the jabiru as a motor......Im not saying for one moment yours is a problem, I have no knowledge if it is or isn't but I would suggest that 4 x CHT(most important) and 4 x EGT's (Less important) may well be an essential approach if not already fitted. We on this forum know for absolute fact that running hot and jabiru don't go together well if you expect your engine to go for TBO hours...in fact run it hot and 10% of TBO will be a stretch in my experience.

Andy

hi andy. thanks for the concern and info but I hope it is unwarranted. I asked about any problems with over heating and I have been informed that it is perfectly ok. and I have no reason to doubt what I have been told. this shadow was built by two engineers, a bloke called ross leach, and his son danial and imho they have done a fantastic job with amazing attention to detail. this is a newly rebuilt engine and has been signed off as all Ts and Ps correct. it has an oil cooler fitted and the ducting and cowling is an ingenius work of art. the large bottom ducts direct air down through the front 2 heads and the large middle ducts direct air to the rear. the two smaller ducts at the top direct air to the barrels. it is then left open at the bottom and I expect the prop draws a huge amount of air through when on the ground.from the photos the ducting appears very thick, which might create a hotspot between the heads, but the edge is a T section and the walls are approx. 3mm thick and very strong. I don't even know what its made from but they did a first class job of making it. I know jabiru has two ducts at the front behind the prop, but these are for both heads and they are tiny. and behind the centre of the prop. to look at the shadow I cant see any reason why this should run and hotter than a jabiru. imho it looks to be a more efficient cooling system. I havn't flown it yet so I cant say for sure, but after really looking at it im not too worried. I have enclosed some pics so u can see what I mean and maybe give me your opinian. cheers m8. ps I have enclosed a couple of photos of a jabby powered shadow that flys in south Africa. this is fully enclosed and to look at has nowhere near the volume of cooling air going through as mine, and I am not aware of any problems with that one. what do you think? pps. the ducting is made from Kevlar and carbon fibre.

IMGP0136.JPG.f2db130787ec6392eca595574ba636d7.JPG

IMGP0128.JPG.57c96886eaed7a053d6c2c5a8fd7272e.JPG

IMGP0129.JPG.0b7892a814f1e97ca42c0f4f56910ecb.JPG

IMGP0131.JPG.5875dcbd3c5fefddb6e8073f41283554.JPG

IMGP0132.JPG.35d0f2b324d974de8717c3540fab2ecf.JPG

IMGP0134.JPG.d668cf5cb8e77210653cca43ac6611b3.JPG

045.jpg.0a1711183eb6faca9f2447b6fd86c986.jpg

010.jpg.b7f4f6f3daac0797f30a409c844f34d6.jpg

Guest Andys@coffs

Thanks for providing the pics, however they lead to a few more questions from me.

The heads look to be the older thick finned heads, I couldn't see any CHT leads, which because of the older style heads must come from around the base of one of the 2 spark plugs per cylinder.

so from what I can see (which simply may not show what is in fact there) , there doesn't appear to be any CHT sensors on either front or back cylinder so when you say they signed off the T's and P's as serviceable, the obvious question is what were the T's and how did they measure them and determine them as serviceable? J says that the Cylinder head temps must be less than 180 in stable cruise and must always be less than 200celcius with the time between 180 and 200 not to exceed 5 minutes. My experience and the guidance of a L2 I trust tells me that really they need to be ideally 120 Celsius (more modern thin fined heads) in stable cruise) and the older thick ones about 20 Celsius hotter. Jabiru USA provide a cooling guide here http://www.usjabiru.com/uploads/AirDuctInstall.pdf and in them they say temps should be 270 to 300F which converts to 132 to 149 Celsius.

So, my question is, what temps are you and or the previous owner seeing and are they within that 132 to 149 range. The higher J Australia range are effectively discounted by anyone who really understands and works the engines as a L2 or higher from what I understand as being too high and temps there are temps that wil lead to damage and low TBO's.

The other question that I would have is, how long between engine runs. From my own experience J's don't cope well with extended down times unless you inhibit the engine as per their instructions. The bores corrode because they are steel with no lining, and that is then identified in poor leakdowns that rapidly get worse. any longer than 2-3 weeks between engine runs where the engine gets up to full operating temps needs to be avoided without inhibiting. I know this from personal experience that was very costly to learn....... If you search the forums for corrosion and jabiru's you'll get a bunch of info and pointers to the J manuals that identify how and when to inhibit, noting that even when inhibited the engine still needs to be turned over by hand weekly from memory....

Andy

I knew I had seen that aircraft at Ycab…Ross has given up flying but I thought he sold it a while ago…Danny is currently about to get a modified Savannah VG into the air..it has a XL front on it and a new engine mount that includes a std rtax ring mount like mine

Guest Andys@coffs

Actually when I go back and look at the photos again I think I can see the CHT lead on the cylinder closest to the prop, which in pusher config is the back one which is usually the hottest......I'd suggest to go with the 300F max in the link I provided you I personally think 348 is too hot....but discuss with your L2

Andy

Hi all, I am the previous owner and I can tell you categorically that this Jabiru does not run hot at all and never has. The amount of cooling available ensures ample cooling on hot days even in a good climb, and can be too efficient in cold weather. I have two high density plugs for the intakes for winter. The temps marked are easily abided by.

Regards Dave.

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs

Dave

Good to know....wish I could say the same for my 3300 on my J230...........

How many hours has the engine done and what year was it produced?......As I said it looks like the thick finned heads .......

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs

wow.....16hrs per year on average........Have you checked leakdowns?

Actually ignore the hours and my concern, do yourself a favour and get leakdown tests done before you fly, its important that you get a baseline result against which you can measure future changes.......You'll know that your leakdowns should be done with engine warmed up to full operating temps and with 80psi applied you need to read 60psi retained at least. Less than that and you need to investigate and remediate.

Andy

engine stripped, cleaned, bores honed. all bearing and shaft seals replaced. new pistons and rings and head overhauled by camet, new oil cooler. engine assembled run and flown all oil ts and ps correct heat temp correct 10 hrs ago.

• Like 2