40KG engine putting out 400 hp

nickduncs84

I'm enjoying learning a lot from this forum. There's so much to learn and I've found this to be one of the best resources for the new rec pilot.

As someone with not much of an idea, I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of this new engine and it's applicability to aviation. How have they managed to produce so much power from such a small engine? Is the technology applicable to aviation? what are the technical hurdles etc etc. I'm looking to buy a jab 230 after my training as I rekon the pros of the airframe and cost outweigh the question marks over the engine....but it would be good to have some better engine options.

http://www.gizmag.com/nissan-zeod-rc-engine/30611/

As a related side note, as things are at the moment, I'd be tempted to go for a 19 rego and stick the rotec liquid cooled heads on the 3300 engine. It seems that many of the problems with the jab engine stem from overheating and that if you're ok with the 19 rego, it's a bit of a no brainer. Am I on the right track??

Nick

• Informative 1

I'm enjoying learning a lot from this forum. There's so much to learn and I've found this to be one of the best resources for the new rec pilot.As someone with not much of an idea, I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of this new engine and it's applicability to aviation. How have they managed to produce so much power from such a small engine? Is the technology applicable to aviation? what are the technical hurdles etc etc. I'm looking to buy a jab 230 after my training as I rekon the pros of the airframe and cost outweigh the question marks over the engine....but it would be good to have some better engine options.

http://www.gizmag.com/nissan-zeod-rc-engine/30611/

As a related side note, as things are at the moment, I'd be tempted to go for a 19 rego and stick the rotec liquid cooled heads on the 3300 engine. It seems that many of the problems with the jab engine stem from overheating and that if you're ok with the 19 rego, it's a bit of a no brainer. Am I on the right track??

Nick

No.

• Haha 1

Yep, thats a fairly good way to go. Only constraint i see (and i have a 19 regd j200) is the inability to train on it. Be aware that what you CAN do with a 19 registered ac isnt what you SHOULD do in terms of maintenance. Stick to your limitations and get help.

LCH are a good thing bit id be leaning toward a Camit built engine and get air flow sorted out. Problems aren't all related to heat.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

thanks jetjr. training isn't an issue as we have a 230 at our school, so I'll have plenty of hours in that by the time i buy one. i don't rekon ill be doing any maintenance myself. im way more dangerous than any jab engine is. will keep an eye on the Camit engine over the next 6 months or so. would be good to hear how people are going with them...

• Like 2

thanks jetjr. training isn't an issue as we have a 230 at our school, so I'll have plenty of hours in that by the time i buy one. i don't rekon ill be doing any maintenance myself. im way more dangerous than any jab engine is. will keep an eye on the Camit engine over the next 6 months or so. would be good to hear how people are going with them...

Mick, CAMit have been making good progress with both their in-house final development work and flying experience in a number of aircraft and are (I understand) heading towards a higher-level of acceptance for their modified engine in the relatively near future. I don't think - though I have no particular information - that the Rotec heads are in any way a bad thing, but they do make changes necessary (obviously, providing a cooling system for the heads, for a start) that will be at the very least a lot simpler for owners substituting a CAMit engine for a standard Jab. engine in their aircraft. If you are looking six months away from making a purchase decision, I strongly suspect there will be a considerable improvement in the level of information available to you to make that decision.

• Like 1

Mick, you might be somewhat pleasantly surprised; remember the lch mod means more than just the cost of the heads, to do it properly you'll need to not only add the extra cooling function (radiator plus cowling mods), but have cooling performance tests done, probably re-do the W&B. The CAMit modified engine has just about every major part renewed - not re-used - and offers a few extra things that the lch heads won't bring to the engine. Whether those represent desirable value, obviously is something every prospective CAMit / vs. lch heads engine owner will need to research and decide for themselves.

All of that said - if the CAMit mods weren't on the near horizon, I too would be looking at the Rotec heads very seriously (and did so not too long ago) - and if I were using the Jab. engine in a STOL aircraft that operates in the low-airspeed 'lugging' area, I think they're still a very viable option to 'Rotax-ise' a Jab basic engine. However, I suggest that if you can pick up a 230 at a bit of a 'discount' price because it has a fairly high-time engine in it, you may find on doing the sums that what you end up with for not much more money than doing the lch conversion work is basically a 230 with a pretty much brand-new and better than standard engine. All those figures should be available to you before you have to splash the cash..

Rotec liquid cooled heads have had teething problems as I understand it (valve guides and head sealing) and requires a radiator and associated plumbing, an electrically driven water pump (weakness) and an upgraded electrical system (belt driven alternator) to make it work. All very complex and in the end an expensive exercise which relies on a constant speed electric pump to keep it cool - no thermostat (very primitive). Pump failure would result in cooked engine in no time. As Rod Stiff has said if it was any good we'd have done it.

• Agree 2
  • Caution 1