Going Flying, has it been a while, what preparation is needed.

Cosmick

Its been hot and wet (not everywhere) and soon good flying weather will return. Unfortunately so does a rise in accident statistics. What are you going to do to prepare yourself and your dream machine for the skies.

Well you wouldn't worry about checking the plane as if it wasn't used it wouldn't have changed so just chuck some fuel in it and don't worry about a run up as a good reving on takeoff will get the spiders out of it definitely take a passenger and as soon as the wheels leave the deck do a hard turn to impress aforementioned pax.074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

Well seriously though as far as the plane goes a thorough check would be a definite ie not just a daily but a real thorough check take your time as we forget a lot of stuff over time and it takes a while to come back. If running on Mogas these days it would pay to drain the fuel and replace with fresh stuff putting old stuff through your car. And once you have done the necessary checks and made sure you are current and legal and started her up (without a pax) it's definitely (for me anyway) worth doing an hour or two of taxi runs even if its only been a few weeks. Muscle memory is wonderful but our muscles do forget :see no evil:if not practiced for a while so definitely take some time. Also would be worth keeping it to early mornings or evenings so you have the benefit of still air till the 'feel' comes back.

Most important thing is to take our time:prop:

My ten cents on it anyway

• Like 1

Two hours of taxi runs?no way.... Just start it up and go as normal, few laps around the field just incase it all go quiet then off you go ,what could go wrong?

Well for me I ve been doing al though little jobs service in frame checks bungie retention general eye over every thing I run my plane every week for a half hour getting the coolant up to temp and causing all those little bugs and spider to have to move house as the place gets too hot & windy every week to settle in ..

Bloody mud builders are a petty mush homeless as they don't seem too enjoy my routine spray of inox around all the engine parts and a wash & tub most every 2-3 weeks Over the airframe,

Then for me a bit of a refresher over flight controls and a good walk round And most times when I run her up I go through the take off roll and I talk myself through the chance of a engine failure on take off , and what if that may try to catch me out

So when and if she dose play games I am a couple of step a head of her .... So far she has been good to me and loves me as mush as I love her ....

."...Guess I need to get out more ."... 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Doug

• Like 1

Sure. Do all the pre flight checks, includung draining a good bit of fuel and giving it a good eye and nose check.

Use full power for the take off and be prepared for anything. Once you are up there treat it as if it is a first flight/ Gentle clinbing turns and get where you could glide in. try some slow flight, have a nibble at the stall, see what the ASI reads. Try some steeper turns, climbing and descending, then when you feel you are in control, return for the landing. You've done it before so just do it again properly. Any problems, go around and think it out.

Of course if it is a two seater you may be able to get an instructor along for the ride.

Whatever you do enjoy it and if it doesn't feel right there is always tomorrow.

• Like 1

There's two aspects to this YOUR state of competency and having the necessary confidence and the condition of the AIRCRAFT.. I lot of people worry about being over-confident which is fair enough, but you have to have enough faith in our own ability also. IF you have any doubts about yourself, do it with your instructor, to be sure.

Same with the plane . check all rubber parts for cracks fuel lines carb bowls for sediment, wheel bearings for water, play and free turning. Check tailwheel function Controls for free movement without any binding, Fuel pumps and battery condition and that your charging system works. Critters building nests in the wings or down the back of the plane, and get someone else to get involved for an extra element of safety. Make it a fun but thorough thing. Nev.