912is upgrade

skeptic36

• 3 months later...

• This engine has done 40 hrs in the trike in the form of the 912is, mostly with the author as pic. (He is the owner and designer of Evolution Trikes)
    The following is what he had to say about his experience after it had the Sport upgrade:

•  

• First flight test in the new 912iS SPORT engine from ROTAX

Well there is good news and there is bad news…

Starting with the bad news, there seems to no performance gain what so ever from the additional torque in the way of climb or top cruise speed. I fully expected to have to re-pitch the prop and so we did. We wound up dropped the static RPM from 5650 to 5450 and we lost power as far as I am concerned. While Wes Frey picked up his iS Sport at the same time and made no pitch change on the prop and wound up having no static RPM change. I think that statement says it all. So power wise this engine does not seem to rival the 912ULS or the 912iS. Although it may spool up faster now, we can already run up to full throttle regardless of engine choice and sit with the brakes locked for short field takeoffs, so that doesn't really give us any improved take off distance.

Now the good news. This engine is unbelievably smooth and responsive. This is THE engine to have! It was smooth before as the 912is, but now the SPORT is absolutely the smoothest running engine I have ever experienced. It starts better, it idles better, the throttle response is positively fantastic and it even shuts down better than the 80 HP UL in my opinion. The throttle is the silkiest, smoothest action you can imagine (not that this has changed from the iS) and now the incredible smoothness in the new engine matches what you feel on the gas pedal.

I am so impressed with this engine. Although it did not give us the power increase I felt the Rotax brochure lead me to believe, I am selling my brand new REVO 912 ULS with only 5 hours on it and ordering a 912iS Sport right away for myself. When you feel the difference between the engines it becomes painfully obvious the iS Sport is the best engine Rotax makes pretty much in every way.

•