General Aviation

Last week I decided that I wouldn't mind getting my PPL. I knew it would cost about double the hourly rate of RA, but thought that it would be worth the money and was looking forward to the new challenge of controlled airspace and a bigger plane.

This is a general summary of how things went....

The first time I went out to the airport (40 minute drive) I was surprised that they had not scheduled me in to fly. Instead it was a general chat that lasted for about 5 minutes. I'm not sure why we couldn't have had that talk over the phone, but I am always prepared to be patient when it comes to flying, so I left happy with a time scheduled for the weekend.

The second time I went to the airport, I had a 1.5hour time slot scheduled in. It was explained that this allows for 15 minute pre flight briefing and a 15 minute post flight briefing. That being said, by the time we reached the tarmac, we had spent 30 minutes talking. Given that the instructor had a student booked for the following slot, we didn't have much time to spend in the air. After a long taxi out to the runway, we took off, departed to the training area, turned around and then flew back in.

All in all, about 20 minutes of taxying and checks and 15 minutes of flight for a total price of $300.

Breaking down the cost, I calculated that the cost engine hour in the 70's Cherokee would be about $500. If you take into account at least 15 minutes of taxying, the true hourly cost per hour in the air works out to be about $650!! Keep in mind that's not including the cost of ground school.

Don't get me wrong, I was expecting it to be a lot (around $300-$350 total), but I have no idea how anyone can justify spending $650 an hour to fly around in a Cherokee.

The lessons I learned

1) Be grateful for Ra Aus. The good outweighs the bad by about 99:1, which can get lost on you a bit if you read too many forum posts

2) If you're going to convert to GA, research the flying school options closely. There can be a huge difference in the cost per hour once you get to the bottom of everything

Nick

• Like 2
  • Informative 5

It helps if you can get the same instructor each time, and preferably one who's well organised and knows how to give a good briefing. That alone can save you a lot of money.

rgmwa

Nick,

There are flying schools and there are flying schools. I had pretty much the same with 2 RA Aus schools. Both were about a 1 hour drive, I would book 2 sessions and would be lucky to get in 1 on most days. On more than 1 occasion was almost at the school and got a call to say the session had been cancelled.

As rgmwa said find a school with a well organised instructor.

Always remember "If you have time to spare go by air"004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Some of this doesn't sound very satisfactory to me. The weather is controlled by no-one, but even then something can usually be dreamed up. I believe a briefing before and after is desirable and about 40 minutes at a time for "intense" training is about enough for one session, in the air.. If you allocate special times and travel a fair distance it can be disheartening, when it doesn't happen. .Nev

Yes I think there were two issues. As far as GA goes, the hard facts are that regardless of how you do it, it's a lot more expensive. When you take into account the avgas, licensing, security cards, medicals, LAME rates, etc, your cost per hour goes through the roof, even when you are comparing airplanes with the same value and cruise speed. Essentially, controlled airspace and two extra passengers will cost you a lot of money. All of that being said, it's all well and good to limit your flying to 1 passenger in theory, but ultimately, if one of the reasons for flying is to be able to do trips to hard to get places with the family, then GA is the only option.

The second lesson relates to the school and the instructors. This school advertises the hourly rate, but it's a dry rate, not inducing instructors, fuel, etc etc. When I did the math, the $200 was really more like $600!

Anyway, I think I'll still do my PPL eventually but will probably do it down at Aldinga. The school down there have more of a recreational focus and I've heard good things about the instructors.

• Like 1

Yes Nev I agree that 40 minutes can be enough, but there are a lot of variables. At Parafield when the far runway is in use I'd say at least 15 minutes a flight between run up checks and taxi. Then it's about 5 minutes to the training area and another 5 minutes back. That's 25 minutes, or almost $300 of stuffing around before you've even really started learning. I'll take the country airstrip and the Jabiru for now!

• Informative 1

Seek and you shall find. Taking passengers for free didn't happen much with myself. Flying alone also not a lot of the time. You will be just as good a pilot (or better potentially) flying very small (and imperfect) planes then flying bigger and better (easier) ones. It all depends on your instructor and YOU (preparation and making the most of all you experience). It is like with a doctor,( IF you are not happy go elsewhere).

Taxi time is money. You always get enough of it without looking for it. Nev

• Agree 1

Hey Nick, I was looking into this also - if you check around country SA into western VIC there are several single operator GA instructors and small schools that would save you a bundle, the only limitation is you would need to travel a little & finish it in one hit over a couple of days or so. An instructor that also teaches RaAus or at least fully recognizes your prior training is preferable of course

Besides the hourly rate you need to find out what their average times to license are & ideally talk to some of their students. There are a few operators that just want you to be safe to the point where you go off and practice the rest on your own & others (many) that are keen to milk all the hours they possibly can out of you.

Or if you need / want to do lots of hours consider doing it in the USA for half the price or less then converting to AU PPL here. The locals need to be cost effective & somewhat competitive.

Yeah I did weigh up a few options including the USA. A year ago that's probably the way I would have gone, but with a baby on the way, I'm staying at home and so the Adelaide area is what I've got. I think I'll give Aldinga a shot. I want to do my tailwheel endo as well so will be able to kill two birds with one stone. The instructor down there is a very good instructor with many years of experience in everything from cubs to 747s.

Avoid the major capital city secondary airports. Charges are nothing short of extortionate, and that's in great part due to the charges they suffer from the airport owners, from hangar owners, and from Airservices. As well, taxying several miles soon chews up the hour period. And if the training area is 20nm away - you'll be effectively wasting some of that en route time unless your instructor is very, very motivated.

As suggested, go find yourself a GA/RAA combo flight school in the closer region, and then do several hours flight each time you trip out there. That way you'll reduce your training 'plateaux', and possibly be able to purchase your training in discounted 'blocks'. If possible, avoid 4 seaters for the bulk of your flying because you'll be paying $50/hr more for them. Just do a check flight when you need the 4 seater at a later time.

happy days,

• Like 1
  • Winner 1