X Country Frequencies

DrDexter1975

Was chatting with a coupla pilots today about what freq to use outside of CTAF areas for X country trips...

Now, to date my X Country experience consists of relatively short Navex's and I've always used Multicom outside of CTAF areas.

I always thought it was correct (when flying above 3000ft) to use the appropriate area (ATS) Freq - my colleagues said "nup - stay on multicom". Infact they used multicom exclusively on a return trip to Bundaberg (from Adelaide).

Can anyone help me out - do you use Multicom or the area ATS freq? Obviously you would use ATS if you were utilising a service like Flight following or similar...but what if you werent utilising flight following?

Cheers.

Troy,

The ERSA, VTCs and ERC Lows detail all the correct frequencies for CTAFs and controlled APs along with ATIS and AWIS numbers. Multicom is commonly understood to be the 126.7 freq used at most (not all) ALAs (licenced and unlicenced).

Unfortunately, as there are so many strips that use 126.7 that sometimes while on a XC trip you can be listening to calls from as far away as 150nm. Pretty pointless really.

If you put together a well thought out flight plan you will make notes of all relevant frequencies along your route and where they apply. I believe the correct practice is to stay tuned to the relevant area freq for any given location along your route, but ALWAYS switch to local CTAFs and multicoms when within 10nm to listen out and report your movements if within the given parameters.

On more than several occasions I've heard ATC and other pilots trying to contact an aircraft in their area but not able to as that pilot is happily listening on a totally irrelevant frequency. Use the frequency for the place you're at ;).

BTW, if you hear someone ask you to tune to "the numbers" or "chat channel" that usually means 123.45 ... but please, if you use this keep it brief then get back to the correct frequency. Oh, and avoid social chat on anything other than the "chat channel".

Hope this helps,

Paul

Hi Troy...from the horse:

Multicom: A frequency designated for the purpose of carrying out recommended self-announce broadcasts while operating to or from an aerodrome without an operating control tower which is currently not an MBZ or CTAF.

The Multicom frequency of 126.7MHZ and the frequencies allocated to MBZ and CTAF are those frequencies with which pilots can make recommended self-announce broadcasts. These frequencies are not normally monitored by ATS.

As Paul suggests, it's best to be on the appropriate area frequency when operating outside 10nm from an airfield as this will give you the best appreciation and situational awareness of other traffic within that area including IFR traffic, it's also best in the event of an emergency as a MAYDAY call will be received and actioned by ATC whereas no-one might be listening to the multicom where you happen to be.

Cheers,

Matt.

The advice about monitoring the emergency frequency of 121.5 is OK if you have a separate radio. As I am always below 5000, I generally monitor 126.7 or the nearest CTAF as there generally seems to be more chances of someone hearing you there and you get a better idea of what traffic there is. If you monitor the area frequency, you generally get overwhelmed with commercial traffic from above 5000 feet, even if the ERSA/AIP says that it is the frequency for below 5000.

On the other hand, if you fly above 5000 you should be on the appropriate area frequency unless you are overflying a CTAF, when it is probably advisable to announce your presence.

If anyone wishes to shoot me down, please feel free.:big_grin:

David

Paul - Sounds like you are saying you would switch straight to area freq after leaving a CTAF?

I fly from a CTAF airfield, and have been trained to switch to and monitor multicom once I have left our local area.

Does anyone think there could be a justification for monitoring only multicom on a X Country above 3000?

No shooting Dave, just some references from the RA-Aus website:

Class G airspace

There are no mandatory reports for VFR aircraft operating enroute in Class G airspace, thus after departing the airfield vicinity such aircraft are only required to maintain a listening watch on the "appropriate frequency" and announce if in potential conflict with other aircraft – see AIP ENR 1.1 para 60.1.

So what's the 'appropriate' frequency?

• The local Flight Information Area frequency, if so, calls would be directed to Flightwatch, see below. (Frequency information blocks depicting Class E and G frequencies and the frequency boundaries are included on the Frequency Planning Chart [see below] and on the VNC and VTC.)

• or a listening watch could be maintained on other specific frequencies;

• or the distress frequency 121.5 MHz;

• or if below 3000 feet agl then listen out on 126.7;

• or when passing near the vicinity of a non-controlled or a towered airport the designated [otherwise 126.7] frequency for that airfield should be monitored to gain information on local traffic.

The reference to 3000' I suggest would be RA-Aus's interpretation of 'appropriate' for ultralight operations as there is no requirement in AIP other than 'appropriate'...which of course isn't defined and up to us as pilots to determine that which best meets the requirement of our flight.

For Dr Dex, I operate as Paul does and switch to area frequency when leaving 10nm from CTAF. This is what was taught during my RA-Aus and PPL training and I suspect you'd find that most GA aircraft would be on area frequency outside CTAF boundaries regardless of altitude. To me it makes sense to be on the same frequency as everyone else that's likely to be in your airspace - GA or otherwise.

Cheers,

Matt.

Guest pelorus32

I'm with Matt and Paul on this. In addition if I'm in an aircraft capable of monitoring a second frequency I will monitor area frequency even when doing airwork at 3500 for instance. One of the reasons I like the ability to monitor a second frequency is that I can dial up the next CTAF as I approach and monitor it whilst also being on the area frequency. Then push one button and you are calling on the CTAF, push again and you are back on area.

Having said all that in some of the areas of NSW for instance you are often on 126.7 nearly full time as you step through one CTAF after another, all the while listening on area if your radio supports that.

As for being overwhelmed by area traffic, I have never found that to be the case. It does give very good situational awareness with a view of who's tooling around in "my" airspace and whether I need to be aware of any inbound IFR traffic wherever I may be etc.

M

The point about monitoring the nearest CTAF frequency is that today's instructions are to give radio calls prior to take off, so you know who is about to get airborne in your area. There is no imperative to make a radio call when you switch from CTAF to Area on your radio, so you are not alerted in the normal course of events. Also when flying cross country, even when over flying, inbound calls are made on the CTAF frequency, not the area frequency, so you are once again alerted, even by IFR traffic which is normally above 5000 feet on a different area frequency to that below 5000.

Only by way of clarification for those reading and learning (not meant as a correction of vk3auu's post) ... an "inbound" call is just that. When approaching a strip with intention to land you are to give an inbound call stating your position and intentions and ETA. However, if overflying a strip, do not use the term "inbound", as you are not planning to land.

That is, if you're overflying within the specified parameters, give a position call stating your intentions. Many times I've heard pilots make calls when overflying using the term "inbound" simply because they are approaching the strip. This is confusing, especially for any local traffic using that strip.

Paul

Guest Flyer40

I'm with Matt and Paul on this. Area freq is the safest place to be outside the circuit, regardless of altitude.

Adding to the part about emergency calls, if I'm ANYWHERE in class G airspace and need to declare an emergency there's only one frequency that's guaranteed to have someone on the other end to hear it, and that's the area frequency.

When I have a COM2 I always keep it at the ready on the area frequency even when I'm in the circuit because if I have an EFATO or other emergency in the circuit at an uncontrolled field my 'mayday' wont be on the great unknown of 126.7 or CTAF, it will be to the ATC person on the area freq.

I've never been overwhelmed by irrelevant traffic on area frequency, but I'm often overwhelmed and cut over by irrelevant traffic on 126.7.

Mal

I always use the Area Frequency outside of a 10 mile radius from the strip that I have just left or about to land on.

When coming close to another strip that I don't intend to land at I use the monitor (2nd channel) feature of my radio so I can ascertain any traffic that may be around that area - taking off, landing, circuits etc. I have an Emergency Frequency Select button that I can quickly press or I could also press the flip to get back onto the area freq if I ever needed to do a mayday call when I am within the 10 mile radius of a strip that I am landing at or taking off from.

Guest Howard Hughes

Probably the key to this question is asking yourself, which frequency would most people be on? By the answers so far, that is definitely area frequency! There is no doubt that you want to put yourself on the frequency where most people are and where the most possible conflicts would lie. Of course inbound to/or overflying an airfield that would then definitely be CTAF!

If you have the option of being able to monitor area and CTAF by all means do so, as this gives you an even better level of safety. If your aircraft is fitted with a transponder (as I believe more and more recreational aircraft are), make sure it is turned on! This will give you a further layer of safety to stop you becoming someone elses 'hood ornamnent'.;)

Most IFR pilots will monitor area enroute and CTAF when approaching an airfield, same should go for all levels of aviation where possible.;)

Guest disperse

not being up on all the abreviations yet.......CTAF control tower air field ?

anyway im assuming the muticom freq is the freq that all CTAF monitor ?

Guest Biggles1

And the correct answer is:-

"Frequency Planning Chart

Airservices Australia produces a Frequency Planning Chart to assist pilots when deciding the appropriate ATS frequency for operations in Class G and Class E airspace. The chart shows Class G airspace frequencies and boundaries over continental Australia on one side; the reverse shows the same information for Class E airspace. "

The VNC charts for your area can be purchased from ASA, online.

Getting the correct Airservices Procedures and Standards is the only way we will improve our (recreational flyers) public perception.