Location for the Great Southern Flyin

Admin

Thanks to all those that completed the Recreational Flying Flyin Survey above on the menu bar as it has helped me to decide a few things.

The location of somewhere near Adelaide like Aldinga or Murray Bridge I thought would have been great but it seems those that have spoken in the survey have indicated somewhere in Vic.

So I now need to look for a place in Vic that can provide the infrastructure for us to have the Flyin. At the moment I am considering Echuca for these reasons:

• Long sealed strip

• Clubhouse

• Plenty of parking space

• Camping under the wing

• Plenty of hotels/motels

• Caravan parks

• Activities on the Murray River like paddle boat cruises

Plus I am looking at the Melbourne Cup Day weekend of Sat 3rd - Sun 4th November and those that want to avail themselves of the river cruises etc there is the Mon and Tue (Melb Cup Day).

I am also going to try and get aircraft distributors, some forums, special guests and have some activities like a flying rally with questions etc on the Sat afternoon and then some competitions on the Sunday morning.

How does all this sound - apart from Echuca is there anywhere else that can offer the same or better infrastructure and local activities?

Guest brentc

Ian - that weekend is the Red Bull races in Perth. Not sure if it will make a dint in numbers but worth a mention.

Of course, I vote for Tooradin. We have most of the good things on your list. There's Phillip Island nearby with Penguins etc. I was considering running a 'Jabiru Fly-in' some time so perhaps both could happen together?

The Red Bull races are on the Sunday aren't they? If so then I can have a 42" LCD TV there on the Sunday afternoon to watch for those that are still there for the Mon/Tue. From what I heard back from those that went last year it is better to just watch it on the TV.

Guest grantisaac

Hi,we had a flying trip from Forbes to Echuca last year. All who attended thought it was great. Next option Forbes!!!! Recently renovated Club House,Long Strip,Dirt Cross Strip, Plenty of Caravan Parks and Motels. If Not at least call in on your way to Natfly and say GDAY

Went up to Echuca yesterday and had a good look - it is going to be a great location as everything is there. Also had a quick talk to the President there and everything looks positive so at this stage I think I can say Echuca will be it - just need to work out some small things which I hope to do this week.

Once it is definitely confirmed then I will be sending out the invites to aircraft manufacturers and distributors for stands to have there, CASA for a safety forum and other forum presenters. I will also organise a list of off-field accom for those that want it.

It's all happening and I think this one is going to be even better then the Northern Flyin this year.