Gidday All. Had my first lesson today.

Geoff13

Congrats, your lucky that your Mrs is own your side.

I have so much fear and negativity from mine that its preventing me from making a start on my life long ambition to fly - will just have to keep trying. Roodster :(

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roodster. Three magic letters. TIF. Pick the right time, instructor and place and I'm sure she will understand your passion.

Worked for me with an ex-partner. Took a month to convince her but the results were amazing. 30 minutes in the air at Tooradin near sunset in calm air (in a J160) and she was hooked! Fear became passion overnight.

She didn't stop talking about it for weeks.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

My wife always declared that there was no way she would ever go up in one of those things. As my passion and excitement became obvious to her I felt the waters slowly begin to change. One day halfway through my training I mentioned to her that once I had gotten my Pilots Certificate that if she didn't want to fly then I would probably not continue.

Well I might as well have hit her with a brick. What do you mean not continue, you spend months telling me how good it is and get me all excited about it then you say you might not continue. Lets wait and see if you are any good at it she said then we will see. Well she will never be a passionate as me but she does fly now and she absolutely enjoys it. She can't spend the hours that I can up there but if it is and hours jaunt to sight see or a trip to Dalby to look at a plane or just a 20 min flight to Caloundra then a taxi into town for coffee, then she is normally up and dressed before me. Yep I know spoiled aren't I.

• Like 5

Thanks Guys this gives me tremendous hope - I will heed your words of wisdom and move with extreme care.

Its encouraging to know others have had to deal with the same problem and found ways to overcome the difficulty without having to seek devious solutions.

Will keep persisting :-)

u have probably sorted the fear thing out geoff, however i tend to think of it as apprehension when i first started ,and that was only recent , but i found the more i flew and learnt about flying the easier it has become to the point where im not worried about that side of it. i do know however that the safe flying i do is only achievable because of the planning ,maintenance ,training and pre flight checks that are done . So even though i and thousands of others do this i know i will never become blarsey about it ,anyway great flying and hopefully will see you somewhere.

• Like 1

Today I feel as though I have finally come to grips with the Nimbus 2000 (aka The Drifter). After leaving it alone for a few weeks whilst I got my own plane sorted and home, today I decided it was time to tackle the Broom once again. I had been solo on it but with the time lapse and the different planes in between I asked the CFI to do a couple of circuits with me just to make sure that I was still ok with it. Well he left me to it after a couple so I did a few more circuits then had a break. No-one else had her booked for the day so I decided to take her for a spin over to Watts Bridge and back. Well what a buzz that turned out to be a gentle cruise out to Watts Bridge, with a few circles around my own shadow on the way out as well as some other simple exercises to pass the time and a quick circuit and landing on runway 30. Over and caught up with Jim and a couple of his mates and watched while he flew his Tyro for a few landings then back onto the Nimbus and home to Caboolture. And yes it was enjoyable and I had a ball doing it with almost no fear of falling after the initial mount. So yes I think we have come to an understanding the Nimbus 2000 and I. Now I wonder what it would be like to traverse the country on West to East. Hmmm.

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

Now I wonder what it would be like to traverse the country on West to East. Hmmm. . . . .

Hey Geoff . . . . . .Long, Mate. . . . . . . . .REALLY LONG. ( Unless you meant doing it in England,. . .then It'd only be roughly 69 NM across the narrow bit in the middle . . . . . ! ! )

Phil.