LEFTY IN A JAB

Guest disperse

Guest disperse

how many left handed people are flying with thier right hand ?

as you know ive just started my training.....so i was wondering if it would make much of a difference if i was learning in a centre stick so i could use my left hand ?

because as we all know left handed people make the best pilots 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest pelorus32

G'day Troy,

Most of us are righties and fly in the LH seat with our left hand on the stick and right hand on the throttle. My view is it doesn't matter, with any learned skill you can utilise either hand and it works OK.

Regards

Mike

I'm a lefty and it's never been a problem for me in the Jab, even when changing sides.

I read a statistic a while back, possibly on this forum.

It is estimated that between 11 and 13% of the worlds population is left handed.

Over 65% of Victorian prisoners are left handed!

Guest pelorus32
Here's a clue of about what our older languages thinks of left and right handed people.The Latin word for right handed was dextra

The Latin word for left was sinistra

Regards

And it's not just older languages. The modern Italian equivalents:

left - sinistra and right - destra

As for lefties they may represent 10-15% of the population but they represent 50% of my household!!

Regards

Mike

I think you are right Troy - makes no difference. I am very left handed,( and will ignore the above posts- I'm not in gaol -yet), and in retrospect I think it is an advantage in the Jab as we get better throttle control -- with right hand on the throttle I appreciate the "wind in" - push/pull throttles -- easier for me. I'm glad my dominant hand was on the jab throttle!!

No real evidence other than a couple of Prison Guards shoot at my pistol club and they told me that this was the case.

Apparently left handed people use a different part / side of their brain, they learn differently to others (usually by example) and are more likely to 'run off the rails' or so I've heard. 60% of my household are left handed.

ambidexterous.

Getting serious and responding to this thread as it was started, A pilot who flies a lot of different aircraft, or flies from left & right seats, has to adapt. The people who fly only one aircraft get very used to it, and it becomes second nature to fly because you are relying on familiarity all the time. You then have to use less mental energy. The job is easier because you are used to it.

In a less familiar situation, you may relax and revert to an action that was appropriate to the first aircraft with less than classy results.

As has been stated the left- handed, right- handed DOMINANCE is just that.

As I am right -handed, if a wished to wield a scalpel, paint a picture or sign my name, I would do it much better with my dominant hand, in fact I reckon my signature would be unrecognisable, done with the (wrong) hand. This doesn't mean that the other hand is useless or paralised, or can't perform a complex well judged coordinated action, at the same time. I would be interested to see if anyone could print two different words simultaneously with both hands.

I have flown with hundreds of pilots, and I wouldn't know whether they are right or left handed, untill I see them doing a flight plan. Nev....

Guest disperse

i asked this question after going for a fly with john at the oaks.......flying from the right seat. when he took over control. he would reach accross himself and still fly with his right hand.....?(jabiru)

Guest disperse
Apparently left handed people use a different part / side of their brain, they learn differently to others (usually by example)

well im a lefty.......and i do learn bst from watching someone else first

Guest pelorus32

Following on from Nev's post about handedness. Two examples:

For those of us from rural backgrounds who learned to artificially inseminate cows we were generally taught to use our left arm. I won't go into the reasons which are interesting in themselves. The challenge for right handers is interesting though. Artificial insemination requires good manipulative skill and initially you are convinced that you will not be able to learn how to do this. Of course you do learn to do it. For my part having learned how to do it, it became so much a "left handed" skill that I could not imagine using my right hand for the job - the law of primacy.

The other salutary thing about living with lefties is that in my experience they tend to be much more ambidextrous than righties. I don't know why that is but it certainly reflects my observations of them. The guy who vainly tried to teach me to hit a golf ball, himself played off scratch with either hand - it was embarrassing to watch. If he had to sign his name it was with the left hand.

Regards

Mike

I would be interested to see if anyone could print two different words simultaneously with both hands.

Nev - not only can my wife do that, but she does caligraphy and I have seen her write the same word with both hands in mirror image simultaneously. The words start in the center and grow outwards. The end result was then entered in the Royal Canberra Show.

My wife is beautiful, talented, and a little scary.

Two hands.

That's very interesting starti, Not wishing to be pedantic, but I mentioned DIFFERENT words. The mirror image of the same word is using similar functions (Ithink) Try the other.

I agree, She may be scary. Lucky you! Thanks for the response. Nev...

Guest Andys@coffs
That's very interesting starti,

Nev.... You need to type with your dominant hand!

Especially given the distance between the T and the L on the standard qwerty keyboard 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Andy

A little pedantry deserves a torrent in return Nerv.:clown:

Not only my handle - thanks Andy - but the bit where I said "not only can my wife do that, but....".

Although I must admit I meant to double-check that she can do it with different words before posting, forgot, then posted it anyway. I'm pretty sure I've seen her do it. Will verify.

Ross (easier than slarti)

Guest disperse

i asked john why he used his right hand when flying in the passenger seat..

and no-one quessed it...... and the reason is : it stops our arms getting in the way of each other..:yin_yan:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest toose70

I'm a lefty too, flying a j160 Jab. I don't find it too much of a problem. The j160 has a panel mounted throttle which i find i have better sensitivity with my left hand, being left handed :) Helps to keep that glide slope in check on final :)

cheers