Editorial Comment

Admin

I think that's what they call it, Editorial Comment

Back in the 90's I was sent to New Zealand to help sell the public transport system to private enterprise. Whilst there I was also engaged to do an analysis on road deaths...it was very interesting. Remember this was back in the 90's and they put the value of a person's life at $2.5m in terms of loss to the countries economics.

Every single road corner, intersection, hill etc was scored with the potential death or injury potential and relating to that value of life, it would determine how much they would spend, if budget was available, on that corner, intersection etc to reduce the risk of potentially losing a life. If say a corner had a 0.01 score then they would spend $25,000 on perhaps putting up signs like "Sharp Curve" etc, or say a score of 0.5 then there was a 50% chance so they would spend $1.25m on putting in a roundabout, signs, traffic lights etc.

Interesting how they put a value on a human life and how much they would budget to try and prevent a loss.

So this line of thinking brings me to what this site does. Now, I know for a fact that this site has saved many lives, an exact number could never be really ascertained but from comments made to me personally, and on this site, it can't be argued against the fact that it does and to the lesser extent, it has helped prevent many minor injuries whilst at the same time helped our flying skills and our knowledge in better aircraft maintenance.

Imagine if for the last 10 years that this site has been going that I was paid $90k + $10k costs, per year which equals $1m, that's not even half the value of a life in the 1990's value. Like to see CASA or RAAus paying that but not only that, CASA, RAAus, and other recreational aviation bodies, along with every RAAus member, every single pilot, every single one of them get all this for absolutely FREE. Not even half of the cost of 1 life and we know we have saved many.

This site is the highest ranked light aviation web site / resource in the Southern Hemisphere and even October numbers show how popular it is:

1.jpg.908d46067a4e41aa71e1a134ddd7f446.jpg

That is nearly 54,000 visits to this site in just 1 month and the average time they stay on the site is over 7 minutes reading information that may help them.

So, what is my point? Clearly that this site can have a dramatic impact on saving lives in the aviation industry. How it does it is by you people sharing your experiences with the thought of helping each other. Your post, and how you word it, can change the future of someone else, think of that when posting, think of that when a subject comes up that we may not like, think about that in a global sense and not just what I can get out of it for myself or how much I can show how important or knowledgeable I am.

We do discuss things here that may be controversial but that is freedom of speech compared to the alternative of big brother controlled environments and you get the opportunity here at no cost to you, completely free to do so. If freedom of speech allows us to bring certain topics to the table that may save $2.5m and a person's life, then should we not be able to do that. Yes we should be able to BUT we are all equal and we are all worth $2.5m each and every single one of us, not 1c more or 1c less, we are all equal on this site

• Winner 1

Imagine if for the last 10 years that this site has been going that I was paid $90k + $10k costs, per year which equals $1m,

Pardon me, Ian, but I believe $90k + $10K = $100K, not $1 mil. Sorry if I'm out of line.

Pardon me, Ian, but I believe $90k + $10K = $100K, not $1 mil. Sorry if I'm out of line.

Times by ten years:wink:. He said imagine if for the last ten years and then mentioned the 90 plus 10 and then said per year