New site feature for all users

Admin

Hi All

I have turned on the ability for you all to have a facebook/twitter style page on Recreational Flying. Changes are:

1. Your Profile Page is now called "My Page" (My Page)

2. You can Add a Cover Image across the top of your page

3. When you change your cover image, an entry is added to your Recent Activity Feed that you changed it

4. When someone visits Your Page you receive an alert that you have had a new visitor to it

5. A new box has been added to Your Page that shows the avatars of all the recent visitors to Your Page

6. You can now receive Likes from other users to posts that you have added to Your Page and give likes to posts others have made on other user's Page

7. You can post images to Your Page

8. You can add Google Map Locations to Your Page

9. You can add "What you are doing" to Your Page

10. You can add site smilies to posts you make to Your Page

11. You can add a 140 character Status (like a "Tweet") to Your Page

12. You can comment on posts made to Your Page or comment on what other users have on their Page (like Facebook etc)

13. You have tabs across Your Page that contains all your Images, Albums and Videos you have added to the site Media Section, Resources you have added, Forum posts etc

14. You also have the totals of ALL the forum post Likes you have given and received shown

15. You can see all the other users that are Following you and those that you are Following

16. If you have a Facebook or Twitter Account, you can add a post to your Facebook Wall or Tweet something to Twitter right from Your Page here on Recreational Flying

17. When you or someone else posts to Your Page, the lates posts are shown in the right column of the Forums Page

It is a VERY powerful page, your home page, that is just yours to use, manage and control just the way you want to.

Some things you will need to know:

1. To control who can see Your Page, or in what way other users can use it, you can adjust your privacy settings in your site settings.

2. To have the ability to automatically post to your Facebook Wall or Tweet to your Twitter account, you need to turn these on by going to the "Social Connect" settings in your site settings. Setting this on will also enable you to add your forum posts to your Facebook Wall or Tweet from your Twitter account

3. The Cover Image for Your Page has an upload limit of 256kb

4. When you go to Your Page and haven't uploaded a Cover Image, you will see a default image however, all other users will not see any image until you upload a cover image

Once I get a few things sorted out you will soon also be able to direct anyone, friends etc to Your Page by a simple Recreational Flying web address like www.recreationalflying.com/

Hope you find this new site feature useful in making Your Page, Your Aviation Home, on Recreational Flying

• Winner 2

As per the second half of your post, I take it most of these settings are "off" by default and need to be turned on?

All user privacy settings are currently set as default which means site users (members) can post to your page. You can change this to only users that you follow etc. Visitors can view your page but can't do anything so if you changed that setting from members to everyone it will not do anything. If users want vistors to be able to add to your page then i would need to change a major setting but i would be wary of this due to potential spam. So if you want me to change it so you can let everyone add to your page then let me know

Hi, Ian,Is there a way to update information on My Page? I didn't notice an edit button.

What exactly do you want to change, i am not sure what you mean

What exactly do you want to change, i am not sure what you mean

Well, example, my profile says I am in my mid 60's. I'm now 70. And if I change my location? Or add/delete hyperlinks from my signature?

Well, example, my profile says I am in my mid 60's. I'm now 70. And if I change my location?

In your settings you must have entered an incorrect birthday, update your settings (Personal Details) and you can change your birthday and Location...incidentally, if you have your correct birthday in there and you come to the site on that day you get a nice Happy Birthday message from everyone here across the top of the site

Thanks Ian, and sorry. I forgot to check clicking on my userid at top right to update settings. I thought this had been replaced by My Page. My apologies.

Totally understand that Mate, the site has so much in it now that I am starting to get lost and not sure how to make it simpler but at the same time offer as much as I can to the huge diverse range of users. I might have a look at adding a link on Your Page so a user can go to their settings from there as well