Not a bad tail wind

Cosmick

You can get over 200 Knots tailwind from these winds. It's not all good. There can be some severe turbulence associated with them at the boundaries. You are not likely to have the experience with RAAus planes. They are at high altitudes.. Nev

• Like 1

Some years back, when BA were still flying through Perth, I observed a 747 radar ground speed of over 1250 km/h (650 kts) at 140 nm WSW of Perth. When I remarked on it the pilot said once they were in the jetstream the ride was very smooth. Poor sods coming the other way had a very low, slow and bumpy ride.

• Helpful 1

Guest Howard Hughes

I was lucky enough to cross the Atlantic in 2011, had winds in the 130-150 knot range for the entire crossing. This is heading up to St Johns, prior to heading out across the Atlantic.

IMG_2094.JPG.278e038326c572490f3586f1ceddffb7.JPG

Well guys, not wishing to sound big headed, but a few years ago I took off and headed north into a very strong head wind and on returning to the airfield my ground speed had increased by over 500%.

Here is a photo taken just after the record breaking flight.

Alan.

36.jpg.047fa6c98511076036dac386e24fb14f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last year I had 50kts wind over my field at 3000. Made a "high speed" run down wind at 144Kts G/S.....amazed how fast the scenery was passing below me.

Made the return trip at 30 something.......thought about doing the hover thing (0kts G/S) but chickened out.....thought 3000 was a bit low.

Not wanting to push my luck, I returned to land in wind under 10kts, the same as I'd taken off at ........

Funny what only a couple of thousand feet can be in wind speed......

Guest Howard Hughes
Well guys, not wishing to sound big headed, but a few years ago I took off and headed north into a very strong head wind and on returning to the airfield my ground speed had increased by over 500%.Here is a photo taken just after the record breaking flight.

Alan.

Sounds like a good day for some 'flying backwards'!

Some years back, when BA were still flying through Perth, I observed a 747 radar ground speed of over 1250 km/h (650 kts) at 140 nm WSW of Perth.

Yes the westerlies can be great when you want to go east! I was on a QF PER - ADL flight once which left Perth very late & the pilot needed to make up time so must have hooked in. He advised mid flight we were averaging in excess of 1150 km/h groundspeed!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

A mate and I were flying our PPC's out near Goondiwindi chasing Pigs forr the guys on the ground with dogs (owners permission to fly low etc etc), when finished I was at 1000 agl waiting for Andy to land into a 10 kt headwind, as the airspeed of the Aerochute is 30 kt I had a while to wait. I had this sensation of going nowhere and I looked at the GPS for ground speed and I was doing 2 kts. I then realised I was going backwards. No problem, once Andy was clear I lost altitude into milder winds.

• Haha 1

I remember a flight I operated from Hong Kong to Los Angeles via the "flex tracks" which were constructed on a daily basis to optimize the wind, we sat for 3+ hours with a ground speed of 650 knots (150 kts twc)

The strongest wind I recall seeing was on a flight from Narita to Hong Kong in the L1011, I have a photo of the INS wind readout somewhere, was 201 deg/200kts.

For ultra light ops it is possible to land going backwards if the wind speed exceeds your landing speed. I suggest you don't allow this to happen as I doubt you will control it. I did have one instance where the wind was like that with a DH 82 at Rutherford. A couple of people came out and I wheeled it on with power still on and they grabbed the wingtips and I kept a bit of power on and the tailup to keep it on the ground. I would not want to do it often. Nev

On an Air NZ B767 in June,2010, en route Auckland-Perth direct, they took a more northerly route via over Sydney then to the north of Adelaide. Headwind was 168 kts from Sydney to near Kalgoorlie. Made a long trip even longer. happy days,

You need the right information from Met.to avoid (or go for it when it is favorable.) I have gone for it out of Perth and got appr0x 200 kts assistance by going well north of normal track. As I mentioned in a previous post there can be associated turbulence at the edges where the wind speed is changing rapidly so there is some risk. Jetstream is a lot different to the lat40 trade winds at lower levels. Nev