A dangerous place to be a pilot. SBS1 Monday night

flying dog

Most of the mountain footage was filmed in very good weather. That's not typical. You either fly valley to valley, or over-the-top and then down through a middle-of-valley 'hole' in the cloud. That Porter you saw on the side of a hill probably didn't get there in the same wx that the story was shot in. The pilot checking system is similar to the former PNG one, (ANO 28.1), wherein you start as observer, then LH seat with checkie, and after 5 trips to each difficult location and route - you are set for PIC. They are just so lucky to have turbines and GPS........sigh!

• Like 1

what puzzles me is the number of them saying how they are just trying to build hours so they can get back to the UK and fly the heavies.... i can't imagine how unfulfilling that would be after experiencing this sort of flying!

had to laugh at the kid on skype with his girlfriend... he didn't exactly make her feel like she was anything special. Acting like its all hard work and misery.... well, she'll find out when she sees the program, seems like they make plenty of time for fun!

• Like 1

what puzzles me is the number of them saying how they are just trying to build hours so they can get back to the UK and fly the heavies.... i can't imagine how unfulfilling that would be after experiencing this sort of flying!

Indonesian Papua and PNG are not particularly 'secure' countries. There is an active resistance to Indonesian rule on one side, and significant armed crime on the PNG side. Not the sort of locations that you ask your new bride to follow you to, and hope to raise a family. Those days are long gone.

You can't really blame the young pilots for looking at their jungle flying as a step up toward jets. Qantas used to send all their cadets up to PNG for a 1-2 year stint with a local charter operator - usually TALAIR. It was a career enhancing sojurn for most of them.

happy days,

Everything you say is correct Poteroo. Some of those strips are probably worse than the ones in PNG back in the 60"s. It's scary stuff and the filming was good. The take off over the trees was too low . and the full power approach was critical too The guy was stressed. (justifiabl..The "Porter" (Pilatis) is a great plane and versions of them have been up there since the 70's. The PT6 is a must have power unit for that work.

Normally cloud around the hills, especially in the afternoons

Definitely worth watching.. . In fact I would rate it close to the best I've seen. I can identify with those guys where you have to get that first job, and will take anything. Whether that type of flying will help much in International Airline flying I would doubt that it would be a great advantage, though all stick and rudder flying is good experience. Those conditions are not any part of normal line flying, and if you do them even if you survive you will most likely not have a job with the airline, as it won't have been the safest decision to get into that situation. Nev

What years were you there Potts?

1961 to 1970 in blocks. Flew with South Pacific Aero Club, Stol Air Services, Airfast/Helicopter Utilities, and Patair. By 1970 I held 'PNG allover' commercial approval - (exemption against ANO 28.1). Fun and games when we were bulletproof! I wouldn't go back there now in anything smaller than a King Air! happy days,

• Like 1