Jabiru 3300 - Leak Down Test Results

ryan4321

Yes - I am taking the advises and not planning on putting myself or others in danger.

I am taking steps now to ensure it is cleared by a LAME before making the trip and again when it arrives to see if I can use it or have to replace the engine immediately.

• Like 3

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan,

I understand how you cannot determine the competency of posts when you are new to this forum. I respectfully suggest there are two highly qualified and competent people (in particular) who have given you advice on here.

I would re read posts given by Nev (Facthunter), there are few more qualified and competent than Nev and ;

Deadstick a LAME and Jab owner.

Ryan - may I respectfully suggest that you may be running a greater risk by using that engine than you have realised? JEM0002-3 (the latest Engine Maintenance Manual) states:

Maximum allowable pressure loss is 25% - therefore a differential of lower than 80/60 indicates a problem.

IF you (or your delivery pilot, in this case) does have an engine failure that results in a crash and airframe damage, I would be highly surprised if your Hull insurance company would accept a claim, on the basis that the engine had a known problem (by the manufacturer's definition and prescription) that was not rectified before flight. You may be gambling with your entire investment in this aircraft.

If I were in your shoes, I think I'd be organising to have the pots pulled and honed (Ian Bent at CAMit can tell you the best homing specifications), the rings changed and the ring grooves cleaned. Given that this engine has had a top overhaul done fairly recently, (and assuming that was a full service), that investment would very possibly give you at least the 200 hours you hope to get before going to a CAE engine, and protect your insurance cover. To me, that is a sensible investment in risk management.

Just from guesswork here: if this aircraft was sold at a very good 'buyers' price, had it been used routinely before sale? Have you seen the log book entries for use in the last little while? Rust in the bores will end up as iron oxide packed around the rings, holding them from proper sealing and that in turn will lead to excessive blow-by that will in turn lead to excessive oil being expelled through the breather. A flight across the continent from W.A will entail some long hops; excessive oil consumption will result in low oil level, high oil temps, faster oil consumption: rapidly increasing the potential for engine failure. Altogether, a classic recipe for an accident that started before the aircraft left the ground.

As a last thought: for a properly expert opinion on Jab. engines, a call to Keith Rule at Cessnock might be very, very worthwhile; he does not have any axe to grind (unlike some others) and he is widely regarded for the quality of his work on Jab engines.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6