New to the scene

Guest Offroad4wd

Guest Offroad4wd

Hi everyone. I am only new to the scene. I have been in lots of small aircraft and really enjoyed it. Thats what got me interested in it and I have wanted to get my licence for along time but have only just started researching it. I will apologise now if I ask any stupid questions. I look forward to learning a lot from here and starting the adventure.

Tim

Hi everyone. I am only new to the scene. I have been in lots of small aircraft and really enjoyed it. Thats what got me interested in it and I have wanted to get my licence for along time but have only just started researching it. I will apologise now if I ask any stupid questions. I look forward to learning a lot from here and starting the adventure.Tim

Welcome! Your certainly in the right spot. There are so many knowledgable people on this forum.

Guest Offroad4wd

I was looking at raa as I didn't know about the RPL until a few days ago. Now that has got my interest. I like the extra weight option ect

I also looked at the RPL, but cost wise and for enjoyment, the RAA seemed to be a better fit. Also, down the track it seems easy now to transfer the RAA over to RPL.

• Like 1

Guest Offroad4wd
I also looked at the RPL, but cost wise and for enjoyment, the RAA seemed to be a better fit. Also, down the track it seems easy now to transfer the RAA over to RPL.

The biggest problem I am having with the RPL at the moment is trying to find a school that can give me more info. From what I can find the RPL is not much different to the RAA in regards to couse structure, flight times ect. I could be wrong though.

For me to learn RPL, it would cost around $200 to $250 hour out of Parafield. With RAA, is around $135 with where I am doing this through.

Now there is quite a few differences between the 2 in regards to what you can do. ie RAA, you can not fly in controlled airspace, Max weight is 600KG, where as RPL is 1500KG Max weight and you can fly into controlled space. If you want to fly bigger aircraft, RPL to PPL is the way to go.

In terms of flying, I believe they are similar for the course structure and many of the endorsements / requirements are the same, ie VFR, aircraft control, radio, ect.

For me, I just wanted to get out and have fun without breaking the bank. If I chose RPL, I would most likely not do it because of the cost.

Not sure if you have seen this on the RA-Aus website: https://www.raa.asn.au/learn-to-fly/recreational-vs-private/

Also, if you want to convert to RPL later, it seems quite easy with minimal hours. See the RPL info here. http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100191/rr61_rpl_fs.pdf

It states:

I already hold a pilot certificate issued by RA-Aus. How do I obtain an RPL?

A pilot certificate is equivalent to an RPL. To get your RPL you need to complete an application form, and follow the instructions on the form to provide evidence of your pilot certificate, submit a recent photograph and provide appropriate proof of your identity. You also need to undertake a flight review before you can use your licence. Your new licence grants you the relevant category rating, aircraft class rating and design feature endorsements. You are also granted a recreational navigation endorsement if your pilot certificate authorises you to conduct crosscountry flights and if you meet the minimum flight times.

• Agree 1

Guest Offroad4wd
For me to learn RPL, it would cost around $200 to $250 hour out of Parafield. With RAA, is around $135 with where I am doing this through.Now there is quite a few differences between the 2 in regards to what you can do. ie RAA, you can not fly in controlled airspace, Max weight is 600KG, where as RPL is 1500KG Max weight and you can fly into controlled space. If you want to fly bigger aircraft, RPL to PPL is the way to go.

In terms of flying, I believe they are similar for the course structure and many of the endorsements / requirements are the same, ie VFR, aircraft control, radio, ect.

For me, I just wanted to get out and have fun without breaking the bank. If I chose RPL, I would most likely not do it because of the cost.

Not sure if you have seen this on the RA-Aus website: https://www.raa.asn.au/learn-to-fly/recreational-vs-private/

Also, if you want to convert to RPL later, it seems quite easy with minimal hours. See the RPL info here. http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100191/rr61_rpl_fs.pdf

It states:

I already hold a pilot certificate issued by RA-Aus. How do I obtain an RPL?

A pilot certificate is equivalent to an RPL. To get your RPL you need to complete an application form, and follow the instructions on the form to provide evidence of your pilot certificate, submit a recent photograph and provide appropriate proof of your identity. You also need to undertake a flight review before you can use your licence. Your new licence grants you the relevant category rating, aircraft class rating and design feature endorsements. You are also granted a recreational navigation endorsement if your pilot certificate authorises you to conduct crosscountry flights and if you meet the minimum flight times.

Thanks for that. It seems like I should start with RA-Aus and if I feel the need later go to RPL. It seems like a lot cheaper way to get started

Thanks

Tim