YMMB to YWOL advice

nickduncs84

Hi Everyone - I'm thinking of flying from Moorabin to Wollongong on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning. Does anyone local or with experience have any suggestions in terms of the best route? via Albury and Wagga seems to avoid a lot of the really high stuff and also avoids having to overfly class C in Canberra. Is there a better idea/option?

Hi, I use to live in Jindabyne and have flown to Mansfield, Corryong, Tumut and South Coast on various trips, the mountain crossings are not as bad as you might think, from Mansfield to Khancoban is clear and if you pick your route high enough you pass over several landing areas around Tom Grogin and swampy Plains once you pass threadbo with big car parks you can nearly glide to Jindabyne, (plenty of paddocks)which I done once to prove I could (almost) make it. Canberra is easy to fly around keeping outside control, I always called up to tell them I was going to stay out and transit and they gave me a Squawk code (transponder) anyway. The main thing to watch around mountains is wind and if it is windy stay well clear as this is a real learning curve that most underestimate.

Hi, I use to live in Jindabyne and have flown to Mansfield, Corryong, Tumut and South Coast on various trips, the mountain crossings are not as bad as you might think, from Mansfield to Khancoban is clear and if you pick your route high enough you pass over several landing areas around Tom Grogin and swampy Plains once you pass threadbo with big car parks you can nearly glide to Jindabyne, (plenty of paddocks)which I done once to prove I could (almost) make it. Canberra is easy to fly around keeping outside control, I always called up to tell them I was going to stay out and transit and they gave me a Squawk code (transponder) anyway. The main thing to watch around mountains is wind and if it is windy stay well clear as this is a real learning curve that most underestimate.

Thanks Camel. I'm at Aldinga which is at the base of the Adelaide hills so have a bit of experience in terms of how quickly wind and hills can ruin an otherwise joyful flight. That being said, the Adelaide hills obviously aren't in the same category in terms of size / elevation. Any pointers you can give me on my first journey through that region? What wind forecasts cause the most trouble, how far above the mountains do you have to be to avoid the dangers, etc...

• Caution 1

If you can do Albury then Tumut then Yass Township to Goulburn then its a pretty straight shot to YWOL from there and skirts around the Canberra airspace... i've done that in reverse (mostly) and it worked out well

• Like 1

You need to work out the best way for you as there is still a bit of ducking and weaving on the Victorian side. There is plenty of Tiger country on Victoria side if you totally avoid it your better off with Ayavner route which I just looked up the map and Ayavner route is better just not as scenic.

• Like 1

You need to work out the best way for you as there is still a bit of ducking and weaving on the Victorian side. There is plenty of Tiger country on Victoria side if you totally avoid it your better off with Ayavner route which I just looked up the map and Ayavner route is better just not as scenic.

Thanks camel. Being my first time I think I'll go via Albury and resist the urge to be more adventurous!

If you can do Albury then Tumut then Yass Township to Goulburn then its a pretty straight shot to YWOL from there and skirts around the Canberra airspace... i've done that in reverse (mostly) and it worked out well

Yep just looking at a map this is what I was planning. Thanks for the reassurance!

Welp, made it Goulburn. Departed YMMB a but late so was going to need everything to go right to make YWOL by sunset. All was looking good with a 6000ft ceiling all the way to around Yass. From there it was down to 3500. As I approached Goulburn there were a few showers around, so the combination of all of that meant the only option was to spend the night in Goulburn. All in all a good day flying from Adelaide to Melbourne to Goulburn. First time into Moorabbin and generally good conditions.

Thommo was that your pacer by the tower in Moorabbin??