Light Sport distance

Found it:

"At almost all airports in the U.S. with proper endorsements, during daytime only, at altitudes below 10,000 feet or 2000 feet above the ground which ever is higher, with visual reference to the ground. There’s no distance limitation for cross country flights (can be anywhere in the U.S.)."

Mark

welcome to the forum Mark! Glad you found the info you were after, not sure being an Australian forum that many of us have FAA regs at top of mind. KSAC - is that Sacramento? Been there a few times!

cheers!

adam

This is not an Australian Forum, it started in Australia and most users are from Australia, but recreational flying is world wide so I welcome everyone no matter where they are from and hope that everyone can call this their home of recreational flying

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

i follow the us ultralight forum and have fiund it very useful and containing great posts. i hope you find the same here. most members, i feel, would be interested in cross pollinating with other overseas bretheren.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

i follow the us ultralight forum and have fiund it very useful and containing great posts. i hope you find the same here. most members, i feel, would be interested in cross pollinating with other overseas bretheren.

OOOOOOH you sexy beast !

• Like 1

I am considering switching from my C172 lessons (30+ hours) to light sport in the Evektor Sport Star. What are the FAA rules on Max distance flying?Many thanks!

Mark

KSAC

Hi Mark, and welcome to the RF forum. . . .lots of nice blokes and ladies here. . . . you might be interested and SHOCKED to hear that in the UK, the basic MICROLIGHT licence used to limit the pilot to a radius of just EIGHT nautical miles from base, until all of the cross country exams were passed ! ! ! you could still carry a passenger, but not go very far ! . . .this has recently been changed, so that now, instead of having a basic licence ( or license in the US ) a person has to pass NAV as well, which is a real good idea I think !!! Late model weight shift trikes powered with the rotax 912S motor, would have only about 3 1/2 minutes of flytime before turning back if that rule was still around ! ! !

Anyway, good luck with your flying in the Sportstar, nice airplane. . . . terrific view, but don't forget your baseball cap in the summer ! !

Phil

Until you get your cross country endo in Oz, (Nav) you are limited to 25 nautical Miles from your aircrafts home base. After Cross country endo, the skies..(lol) the limit.

Hmmm,. . . Having flown in OZ for eleven years, I found it a bit odd when I converted to Microlight in the UK, and discovered that 8 mile rule,. . . . . I couldn't understand why anyone would want half a licence to fly ? ? ? yet some of our club members flew around like that for a couple of years carrying the wife and / or kids etc, before taking the written and practical Nav exams. . . weird OR WHAT ?? . . . . Actually, I didn't have to bother with any training LEGALLY as my PPL covered anything with wings and an engine up to 5,700 Kgs,. . .but I did get the local instructor to give me some tips on flying a shopping trolley with a hang glider wing, as it was s l i g h t l y different from all the hot metal I'd been used to abusing. He sent me solo after about forty minutes, but it was worth the time to get some useful tips, like, off you go, . . ."you realise that you're going to kill yourself now don't you . . .?"

I found out last week that a bloke is still revalidating and he still has not done his Nav . . .? strange way to fly, but I guess it's 'orses for courses. I also know several pilots who are very resistant to getting a radio licence as well. . . .don't want to use it. . . .etc. . . . ( ? )

I LOVE technology, . . .I want a mode S transponder with ADSB full TCAS and anything else,. . .just because I'm a tecchie freak. . . .FLARM is a waste of time, as only Gliders carry the darn thing. . . .ADSB is the way forward. . . .now,. . how to afford it on a pension . . .hmmmm. . . .

Until you get your cross country endo in Oz, (Nav) you are limited to 25 nautical Miles from your aircrafts home base. After Cross country endo, the skies..(lol) the limit.

Oh,. . . . . .and here's me thinkin that the limit was . . . . the thickness of yer wallet. . . . . . . . . Actually the 25 NM rule applies here if you build your own aircraft,. . .following a successful test flight, you are allowed, for the next 25 hours ( Proving flights ) to fly into limited OTHER sites, we asked what the limit was, and incredibly, they didn't seem very sure at the CAA, so we asked the PFA ( Now the LAA ) and THEY had no hard and fast rules either. . . ( ? ) . . .so we put down every airfield we could think of in a radius of a hundred NM, and guess what ? they accepted it. !we did this three times, with an X'Air, a Quad City Challenger, and a Kitfox Mk 3 . . . . .I don't thiink they've woken up to this yet ! ! !

• Like 1