RAAF jet fuel toxic

Yeah, nah, "science" means to investigate and most certainly not to announce results before the results are in.The cells have been noted to have had "change", which is the proper categorisation for the moment - might be well on the way to future humans with super strength and higher resistance to cancer for all they know. Certainly needed to reverse the current softness developing in people.

Now excuse me, time for my daily teaspoon of cement.

If you think the media are ignorant when it comes to aviation news - they are veritable experts compared to when they report on medical stuff. Essentially believe nothing they say.

In the medical world often what happens is someone does a bit of research and publishes it in a journal not as a breakthrough but just to add to the pool of knowledge. Some reporter gets hold of it without any real idea of the significance and then needs a warm and fuzzy, or a sensational angle to turn it into a story that lay people will read. So a study that shows cells in mice, fruit flies or bacteria have minor changes in function with huge exposure to super-concentrations of a toxin and they extrapolate that to "scientists are on the brink of finding a cure for baldness" or "scientists have discovered that people exposed to xxx are living with a time bomb!"

And biggest trouble is people believe it and then want this wonderful new treatment or want something to prevent the catastrophic disease they are now certain to get.

• Agree 1

Say you're part of a team of chemical engineers developing a super secret new glue for aero space industry and you end up selling it too the US military industrial complex at the height of the cold war. It turns out the top secret glue you are working on is highly toxic to the engineers that use it too repair your airframes. Do you stop selling it to the US air force and its puppet air forces? Or do you quietly go about your business, safe in the knowledge the brave boys volunteered knowing they could be killed in the service of their country.

Say you're part of a team of chemical engineers developing a super secret new glue for aero space industry and you end up selling it too the US military industrial complex at the height of the cold war. It turns out the top secret glue you are working on is highly toxic to the engineers that use it too repair your airframes. Do you stop selling it to the US air force and its puppet air forces? Or do you quietly go about your business, safe in the knowledge the brave boys volunteered knowing they could be killed in the service of their country.

Or

It turns out 50 years later to be a problem - long after all including the makers had thought it was safe - even when everyone did everything right (as best they could at the time)

or

Yes someone knew it was bad but hid it.

or just more likely

it was known that it had an issue but at the time everybody was more accepting of risk because just being alive was a bigger risk then - but later everyone became soft and coddled and could not accept risk existed and came to believe that things done in the past should be viewed with modern eyes and knowledge as if the same attitude prevailed back then and it was therefore all a result of a conspiracy.

• Agree 1

Jaba who how right you are. I noticed in New Scientist 31/Jan that the experts are changing their opinion on skin cancer and sunscreen. They are now saying that the sun is required for us to function properly and we should get into the sun, but not get sunburnt.

I have been saying this for about 20 years and I am no scientist. Everybody said I didn't know what i was talking about. Well I will make another statement. It will not be long before the experts say that sun screen is bad for you. It will cause medical problems galore and that the whole slip, slop, slap. scene was a mistake.

Another thing that will be found to be detrimental to health is the constant use of deodorants.

Tell me if I am wrong in 5 years time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1