Prop hub cracking What's going on???

gandalph

I've heard from a reliable source that there is an RAA airworthiness notice dated 24 April about cracking of Jabiru prop hubs for composite props but I can't see anything about it on the RAA site when I checked today. It apparently requires mandatory inspection before next flight.

This appears to be a very serious issue for those running composite probs on their Jabs but I can't see anything about it on the RAA site. I understand that some RAA members have been advised via newsletter, which is good, but what about the rest of the membership?

Has it been issued? Has it been withdrawn? Is it a furphy? WTF is going on?

• Informative 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Letter dated April 2014

That's the probably the one Planesmaker. Are you saying it was selectively sent only to those using that type of hub and a particular brand of prop rather than broadcast generally? Or have i interpreted your post incorrectly?

I don't know it appeared on this site the other day with a copy of letter. I just noticed the date. But then the thread disappeared? Perhaps check RAA website airworthiness history. Tom

Nothing that I could see either under Jabiru or under prop's on the RAA site. Nothing in the Service bulletin area on the Jab site either. Nothing under CASA AD's either. I wonder why the thread disappeared from here? Seems odd to say the least. Could it be a glitch in Ian's new system? I wonder, can the Mods shed any light on that?

Guest Andys@coffs

People

The date was a mistake it should be 2015 not 2014.

If concerned, discuss with the tech manager

Andy

I have heard of the problem, early days in the release of any SB it would seem

Its possible that it concerns hubs with pitch locating pin

Id have thought drilling into root of blade not a great idea. 2200 jabs have plenty of vibration inherant in 4 cyl design

Guest Andys@coffs
How long does it take to white-out a date & re-type it?

We will be able to answer that tomorrow I think

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs
Andy, do you have a copy of letter?

I'm told the issue of V1.0 (not a prerelease draft) will be tomorrow.

Andy

I'm told the issue of V1.0 (not a prerelease draft) will be tomorrow.Andy

Thanks Andy for chasing that up and keeping us informed.

One last question. My information is that it was circulated (as a pre-release draft?) to some members of the Association. Do you know it that's true? If it is, what was the reasoning behind the limited release? Was it approved or or was it an overzealous ooops on someone's part? And finally, unless the information in the draft has been significantly amended - i.e. not just correcting the date typo - wouldn't it have been more appropriate and beneficial to all members to have circulated the notice and THEN issued an amendment with the date corrected? I ask, not to cause trouble, but because from what I saw and heard the cracking detected and detailed in the notice is pretty serious with very real safety implications for those using that equipment. Wouldn't it have been better to get the information out sooner rather than later?

Id suggest things are being released for review because everytime something is released and theres a problem with it they get crucified on places like this

• Agree 1

Id suggest things are being released for review because everytime something is released and theres a problem with it they get crucified on places like this

Yes, perhaps. But reviewing safety alerts should be done in house. Well that's my opinion, others may differ. My prop & hub is all wood so I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm certainly not looking to crucify anyone - just slightly more than mildly curious mostly about the timing its reported vanishing from this site.