Hi. A newby checking in.

Guest SrPilot

Guest SrPilot

Hello. I have just joined the group. I am interested in possibly acquiring a Foxbat as a Light Sport plane under U.S. FAA rules. It seems there are many more Foxbats in Australia (and lots of other places) than in the States, so I though someone might be able to toss me a few bits of info. I really would like to hear from owners, former owners, or experienced Foxbat pilots. (or anyone else who wants to chat). Thanks! I am signed on as SrPilot.

Hello. I have just joined the group. I am interested in possibly acquiring a Foxbat as a Light Sport plane under U.S. FAA rules. It seems there are many more Foxbats in Australia (and lots of other places) than in the States, so I though someone might be able to toss me a few bits of info. I really would like to hear from owners, former owners, or experienced Foxbat pilots. (or anyone else who wants to chat). Thanks! I am signed on as SrPilot.

Welcome. I have been up in a foxbat once. It has amazing visibility from the cockpit. Cant comment much on the performance as I was not flying.

• Caution 1

Guest SrPilot

Thanks dazza 38 and recflyer, You fellows are getting an early start on my tomorrow as the sun is sinking to the horizon west of me. G'day mates.

Guest SrPilot
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks ayavner. It seems I've been all around your area but never passed through Winston Hills. I look forward to being signed on. It's been educational and enjoyable so far.

Guest SrPilot
Well, you didn't miss much, just another western suburb! I'd like to hear about that Nanchang! Got any pics?

Sure, you can see a piece of it just above my head in the avatar. But, we can show the whole thing. :-) You probably can "Google" for "photo N420RB" and get a bunch of photos. Here's two (me on close final, landing at Oshkosh, then taxiing):

I will be selling the CJ soon because I am moving to Light Sport for a number of reasons. That's why I am investigating the Foxbat along with 2-3 otehr light sport aircraft. CJs, though, are great airplanes within their bevy.

Lovely plane SR,. . . we have a large contingent of Foxbats at our local airfield here in the UK, there are 7 of them. . .. lovely thing to fly, but they are really a "Gentleman's carriage " and don't require a lot of skill as they rather fly themselves. . . .( ! ! ! ) ( Well, to qualify that , not as much as it takes to fly the Nanchang. . .! ! ! no gear retract, no variable pitch prop,. . .unless you have the electric pitch change device,. . .none of ours have that add-on. . . . . they are a really comfortable plane to fly,. . .no vices,. . .what you see is what you get,. . .really good fuel consumption figures, nice, easy handling, you may have the twin yoke type in the U.S,. . .here in teh UK, they only certified the single middle stick version, . . .which is a shame, but what the heck, they still fly very well, into real small spaces if you need to.

Welcome to the forum Sir,. . .let us know how you get on. . . keep in touch,. . .we are a curious bunch. . . . .

Phil

Guest SrPilot
Lovely plane SR,. . . we have a large contingent of Foxbats at our local airfield here in the UK, there are 7 of them. . .. lovely thing to fly, but they are really a "Gentleman's carriage " and don't require a lot of skill as they rather fly themselves. . . not as much as it takes to fly the Nanchang. . .no gear retract, no variable pitch prop,. . .unless you have the electric pitch change device,. . .none of ours have that add-on. . . . . they are a really comfortable plane to fly,. . .no vices,. . .what you see is what you get,. . .really good fuel consumption figures, nice, easy handling, you may have the twin yoke type in the U.S,. . .here in teh UK, they only certified the single middle stick version, . . .which is a shame, but what the heck, they still fly very well, into real small spaces if you need to.Welcome to the forum Sir,. . .let us know how you get on. . . keep in touch,. . .we are a curious bunch. . . . .

Phil

Thanks Phil. Yep, the Nanchang is a mite more complex. I do not have the electric pitch control device. Pilot controlled, it is. 3-bladed German job with a Russian (M-14P) engine and U.S. instruments and avionics. Truly a worldwide "warbird." Parts from everywhere. I surmised the Foxbat was a bit less "busy" to fly; that's part of the pull. I am also looking at the (Zlin) Savage (Cub - now either the Nomad or S in the states - a dispute over the use of "Cub") and have looked at the Bushcat and the Just SuperSTOL. I want some simplicity, and as one gets older (and hopefully wiser), it may pay to simplify, but the drive comes from the FAA, medical scrutiny, insurance premiums, etc, as one ages. We be not 20 anymore. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

I sold my Glastar (which took over 6 years to build) not long ago for much the same reasons.

I appreciate you taking the time to pass along your insights on the Foxbat.

Guest SrPilot

Oh, and here's a photo of the GlaStar - a taildragger. Thanks again Phil. Don't believe I've been to Cannock. Sue and I spent almost 3 weeks driving about the countryside over there, but it was on the wrong side of the road for me so she saw signs and I watched for traffic (and U.S. driver error).

371256391_CopyofIMG_1478.jpg.8fa8afd0bcc34a7fcbfc4b2f88e4d292.jpg