LW1 Lightwing

ron dunn

Hi.

We recently purchased a WL1 Lightwing. This aircraft has had a 618 Rotax fitted in 1996 and also 30 litre wing tanks forward of the main spar on each wing.

Are there any LW1 owners out there that can give me some general details of empty weights of a early Lightwings that have had larger engines and other mods fitted.

Would like to Know if there have been general AUW increases for the type as ours is placarded at 480 kg.

I understand that the original type had 207 empty and an AUW of 400.

Cheers

Ron Dunn

• Like 1

Weights tend to vary through the years, would need to know the serial number (usually up on the door hinge bracket), then ask Howie what it should be.

ps; There is a Lightwing discussion area elsewhere on this site...

The serial number is 039. Have spoken to Howie, not much interested in this sort of problem.

As it is already registered, his advice is not to rock the boat. Have looked at the Lightwing site and is good reading but no real answer to our problem.

Will go back there and post a thread.

Cheers

• Like 1

All LW-1 models are 400 kgs. ( stupid I know ). Howie reckons theyshould weigh around 205 kgs empty. Most came out certified with a 532 .( he did do some experimenting with others I believe)But most were changed since, mostly with 582, however others with anything ( just found out mine had a Subaru once). If it does not have the original engine ( and every thing else for that matter) and has no E/O then jump in line and be prepared for the long wait ( I hear crickets) .. MORAP would be the option.

Regarding weight unfortunately howie says NO.. To get it back to 480kgs a lot of expensive mods are required . Hope this helps

image.jpg.a71f114a753d705bc5ae91732821f9aa.jpg

• Informative 1

Hello Flyerme,

Even though ours is listed with RAA-Us as 480 all up I understand that Howie has not sanctioned an increase to the LW1 without modifications to fuse and wing.

We could live with the 400 if our recent attempt at weighing were not so high.

Doug Evens has stated that his is fitted with a 582 and has an empty weight of 205 kg.

Ours has a 618 which may be a few kilo's heavier than the 582 and has 2 thirty litre fiberglass wing tanks and a small car battery. otherwise is a standard LW LIghtwing.

We will have to back and check our weighing system/equipment

May give you a call one evening Doug.

Cheers Ron

• Like 1

No - born and bred in South Australia. Started up a RAA-Us flight school on the Spencer Gulf with a new GR 582 lightwing and then with several LSA Jabiru's - and before the usual jibes kick in we flew over 6000 hours with the Jabby's before retiring and very much like flying them.

Would buy a little LSA for private use if I could afford it.

Cheers

Ron

• Like 3