Anyone recently transfer part 61 CASA licence to FAA??

Hi everyone - I'm trying to navigate the tricky path between 2 bureaucratic giants each of which say they need you to do something else with the other CAA before doing it with them.

On CASA's website - fill out this form http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/form452.pdf which basically is supposed to authorise them to send info to the FAA. However, on the form, it says "please ensure you have asked the FAA to request this on your behalf first or your paperwork will be rejected.

The only thing is says on the FAA website about it is to fill out this form http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/AC_Form_8060-71.pdf and the instruction that airmen from Australia, ...[etc]... must contact their respective CAA to complete additional forms that are required PRIOR to providing the requested information to the Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760.

Sooo... if I contact CASA first, they'll reject it if they've not heard from the FAA. The FAA says I must do all that prior blah blah... its giving me a headache!

Has anyone successfully gone through this process? I'm thinking I'll email FAA first, give them a 2 week head start, then submit to CASA... Wish I could just get both sides on a conference call and have them sort it out.

Hi ayavner. Apply to the FAA ( I emailed and snail mailed them ) and CASA separately and at the same time. Form 8060 to FAA with copies of your licence and medical, and form 452 to CASA. Put the FAA email address on the CASA form and ask CASA to copy you on the CASA reply to the FAA. The FAA will request the information from CASA and CASA will send confirmation directly to the FAA. Surprisingly it worked ok when I did it. I found the FAA pleasant and prompt, can't say the same for CASA. CASA cost $50. FAA was free. Once you get your letter of confirmation from the FAA, which is valid for 6 months, call your nominated FAA regional office and make an appointment for them to physically verify your identity and documentation, including log books. They will put you into their system so you can start your flying training. PM if you want more info. Cheers.

Hi guys - thanks for the replies. That makes sense, I'll try it that way. If I email it, do you know whether I am in fact required to snail mail it? I ask because I am not sure yet of my arrival date into the US and don't want to get crossed in the mail so to speak.

Also, what do you mean by start flying training? I just want to start flying over there with my PPL as it stands, surely I don't have to do my training over again?

Posting here for now instead of PM, in the hopes others can benefit from the info. Thanks!

Hi guys - thanks for the replies. That makes sense, I'll try it that way. If I email it, do you know whether I am in fact required to snail mail it? I ask because I am not sure yet of my arrival date into the US and don't want to get crossed in the mail so to speak.Also, what do you mean by start flying training? I just want to start flying over there with my PPL as it stands, surely I don't have to do my training over again?

Posting here for now instead of PM, in the hopes others can benefit from the info. Thanks!

You will need to do a FAA flight review before you can use your FAA license. It won't be too difficult if you are current in aircraft in Australia. The minimum is 1 hour of ground and 1 hour of flight and if you don't scare them straight off then the flying part won't be any longer. Have a read of the FAA practical test standards and read up on "ground reference maneuvers". They aren't in the Australian sysabus but form part of the flight test and likely part of a flight review. Expect a pretty detailed discussion of the airspace rules and how to read a vfr sectional for the ground part.

It won't really be much more that what someone would want to do before renting you an aircraft anyway.

Cool, thanks that is good to know. I'm current yes but tests freak me out! Looks like I will be moving to within walking distance of a municipal airport, so hoping to be able to get in with a club or school who can also help me bridge any of these gaps.

OK, form 8060 sent off, wish me luck!

• Like 1

Hi guys - thanks for the replies. That makes sense, I'll try it that way. If I email it, do you know whether I am in fact required to snail mail it? I ask because I am not sure yet of my arrival date into the US and don't want to get crossed in the mail so to speak.Also, what do you mean by start flying training? I just want to start flying over there with my PPL as it stands, surely I don't have to do my training over again?

I read somewhere that they could accept snail mail or fax but not email, having said that I got a quick responce to my email and the snail mail requirement may be an old one. Hope it all works out.

OK - I've sent 8060 via email, and got an email from a pleasant "Nicole" thanking me and saying they will be sending the request to CASA shortly. CASA said (also pleasantly, I should add) that if I ring in, they will let me know when they have the request, at which time I can then send the 452 (and $50).

It's *possible* my brain short circuited and I made this sound harder than it really is....

I hope getting a medical and licence over there won't be too full of surprises... looking forward to taking advantage of some cheap flying! Might even be worthwhile to buy a plane, I've seen Warriors in the $20K's and Archers for not much more, in decent nick and plenty of hours. watch this space!

OK - I've sent 8060 via email, and got an email from a pleasant "Nicole" thanking me and saying they will be sending the request to CASA shortly. CASA said (also pleasantly, I should add) that if I ring in, they will let me know when they have the request, at which time I can then send the 452 (and $50).It's *possible* my brain short circuited and I made this sound harder than it really is....

I hope getting a medical and licence over there won't be too full of surprises... looking forward to taking advantage of some cheap flying! Might even be worthwhile to buy a plane, I've seen Warriors in the $20K's and Archers for not much more, in decent nick and plenty of hours. watch this space!

I believe they will take your recognize your Australian class one or two medical.

In any case, I found the American Class 2 required for a CPL to be a doddle so the Class 3 for a PPL should be very straightforward. One thing they are extremely tough on is DUI.

There can be a few surprises in the USA for Aussies depending which part of the country eg towers thousands of feet AGL and density altitude. Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow that was quick... longest delay was on CASA's part, naturally... 3 weeks of beard stroking after submitting the form.... but I'm told on the other end that my letter from the FAA has already arrived yay!!

• Like 1