Savannah VG - Rolling Left

Xavier

Actually now I think about it you are correct Rick. That only works if you have some sort of detent spring on your joystick that will hold the stick in a fixed neutral position. Otherwise some force will still need to be applied.

I slightly bent the inner tip of my ailerons where they meet the flap section down on the left and up on the right but not by much and it did make a difference before the flight to Inglewood but still a little pressure is needed. So I may look at increasing that bend as I only did it with my fingers the morning before the flight

What about the linkages from the rudder pedals to the front wheel? The front wheel is a long way below the axis of the fuselage. I would think if it was just a little off straight at neutral rudder, it has more potential to be the culprit and also the cure.

Guest Maj Millard
Not sure which ones you know of that are flying Maj, but the one at Caboolture has been for a month or so now. Beautiful aircraft it is to.

This one is up in Townsville Geoff.....

The position of the nosewheel relative to the rudder has a large effect on roll, particularly if you have tundra or similar tyres. Just because the aircraft rolls straight when the rudder is centered is no indication of alignment. The position of the rudder varies depending on the "P" factor at varying throttle positions. The engine offset is a compromise to keep the "P" factor manageable through all power settings. As the nosewheel touches during a crosswind landing it has to be kicked straight.

It doesnt take much adjustment of the nosewheel relative to the rudder to change the roll characteristics. If the roll is only slight then gently bending the trailing edge of the flaperon up or down using you fingers will usually fix it.

...gently bending the trailing edge of the flaperon up or down using you fingers will usually fix it.

…and gently it must be. Being so far back from the fulcrum, the tiniest bend has a significant impact. I added an aluminium extension to the rudder of my Jodel (to replace a trim tab and improve rudder authority on the ground). After umpteen attempts, I have finally got it bent right so that it flies hands free.

• Informative 1