Fit up of Mini's (iPad or Android variants)

Hi I will be fitting a either a mini andriod or mini ipad and I dont't know what else I'll need to run these.We have a mini samsung at home and last week I downloaded the free to evaluate RWY and this requires a wifi receiver.

What do I need to install the mini into the cockpit ? I have a usb power source, does it need the wifi device; or is this just required for getting updates and any other data like weather etc?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike - My low wing aircraft is short on panel space.

I have an i Pad Mini & a dedicated aviation (hand held) "Garmi" GPS. Both mounted on "RAM Mounts, Double Socket Arms & 1" ball" (hard mounted/fixed). The Mini is in " RAM TAB - Tite" bracket/cradle suitable for a Mini in a thick protective case.

On very sunny days I have twice experienced Mini over temp shutdowns in flight. To improve Mini ventilation/cooling I have cut additional ventilation holes in the back of the" Tite" cradle and in the back of the Mini's protective case.

Other than over temp problem, I am very happy with the "RAM Mount" systems which can be adjusted for any eye level or even away from sun glare, to improve screen readability.

As far as on board power goes, I have two twin (x 4) automotive sockets from JayCar mounted vertically, out of sight, behind the instrument panel. I have a fifth socket, on the front of the panel, accessible for in flight charging of devises (phoned, hand held radio, etc). Each socket has a fuse appropriate for the expected current draw and the whole system is powered through a re settable circuit breaker.

All of my devises came supplied with car style charging plugs & extension cables, which I leave semi permanently in place.

System has worked well for over two years.

• Like 1