Fit up of Mini's (iPad or Android variants)

Hi I will be fitting a either a mini andriod or mini ipad and I dont't know what else I'll need to run these.

We have a mini samsung at home and last week I downloaded the free to evaluate RWY and this requires a wifi receiver.

What do I need to install the mini into the cockpit ? I have a usb power source, does it need the wifi device; or is this just required for getting updates and any other data like weather etc?

Thanks

Mike

Guest Andys@coffs

Mike

The tablet needs to have a GPS module in it, most these day do...except in the apple camp where you only get one of those if you pony up for the cellular (3G/4G) models. WiFi is needed at home to install the program and its updates and maps.

In the cockpit you just need power and somewhere to put the tablet.

However, for myself I would generally always have 3G/4G as well so you don't end up out of map coverage because you didn't add the map you now need before you left home.

If you have a smartphone as well then its very possible to pair the tablet to the smartphone and use its data capability. If your phone is apple then I suggest its probably best if your tablet is apple (except to note that you still then have a GPS deficiency to deal with) , similarly if android then so should the tablet because there have in the past been times when one wouldn't play with the other despite them both arguing to be fully standards compliant....

In my view (and I own an android Samsung tablet 3 lite, and an ipad mini retina) the apple version is more mature and capable, whether you need that extra capability is a function of your own ability to use it. If I owned neither or just the Samsung then I personally wouldn't pay more for the apple version because at the end of the day if you have a moving map, and that map contains all the airborne info you need then some of the extras while nice to have imho aren't worth eth $hundreds more that they will cost to go the apple route, and in any event im sure that the android version will catch up within 12 to 18 months or so

Andy

I have a Airgizmo mount for the Ipad mini in my new dash....bloody expensive but it does make a nice fit. It is a cellular model so it has the inbuilt GPS...incredibly sensitive too..it gets a fix inside my fully closed steel workshop shed....well worth the extra bucks and no tethering needed to other bluetooth GPS units

IMG_2353.jpg.ead54e4d9eed05e5709a395e7360c0d2.jpg

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

I have used a mini and a full size iPad.

If you are going to install or have a power socket or USB plug adapter and are going to use a cable just remember to ensure it is a 2.1 amp capable socket and a 2.1 amp capable cable. There are multiple different versions of sockets, dash mountable USB sockets and cables and the commonly available ones are 1 amp which are fine for an iPhone but not the iPad.

• Like 1

Good point Jaba...a friend of mine had a normal USB in the cabin and could smell something when he was flying until he saw wafts of smoke in the cabin. Turned out it was the USB charger socket melting as he was charging his ipad on it. Jaycar sell a plugin one that doesnt emit any interferance. Its about$20 I think and it is 2 ports at 2.1 amps each. I use them in the car and they work great without getting right up the nose of AM broadcast stations like most do for my dashcam and charging iphones and ipads. I made my own one for the aircraft it has 4 ports capable of 2 amps each but if I was doing it again I would just get 2 of these and fit another 12V DC cigarette lighter socket

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-Products-Electrical/Power-Conversion-%26-Transformation/12VDC-Power-Supplies/4-2A-Dual-USB-Car-Charger/p/MP3666

• Like 1

With v.5 OzRunways is offering Live tracking but in order to take advantage of that you need to have a data sim installed in your device.

I believe AvPlan has similar functionality.

If you decide to opt in to the live tracking service then your aircraft ID and your flight plan and your vital flight details - as displayed on your iPad - is then uploaded made available on the network. (An incentive to make proper looking plans. ;-) Among other things it offers a free Live Tracking service. People at home - or anyone else - can easily keep track of your progress.

Wanting to know how it works - more than 'What's New' reveals - I contacted support. Rowan got right back to me:

" From: Rowan Willson (Support staff)

Hi Gary -- you can find release notes in the App Store when doing updates; if you forget to have a look, just do a quick search for OzRunways and look for the 'What's new in this version' box.

Yes the tracking works from any position and only shows traffic airborne (it has an algorithm involving height and speed to work that out). People won't see you if you're on the ground.

It will show the nearest ~ 20 aircraft around you (the most we can squeeze into a single network packet for max reliability).

If you tap on an aircraft, it will show their flight plan if they have one entered in OzRunways.

Their callsign will show whatever they have set for their aircraft (if any), or what's typed into Settings → Traffic (if any). Otherwise it will show 'Unknown'. The 'Unknown' is not associated with any flight plans...it's just their callsign. You can have an 'Unknown' aircraft with a flight plan.

Yes we're working on including all surveillance data but it's a while off still. Right now it's just other OzRunways users participating in the network (which is still a lot of pilots!)

Cheers, Rowan. "

This is from the OzRunway mail-out:

OzRunways TX: Live Tracking and Traffic

After many months of development and testing we're excited to finally bring OzRunways Traffic to the world. Using our own highly efficient network protocol, we are able to provide tracking in even the poorest of cellular signal areas.

OzRunways TX provides a big improvement to situational awareness and safety - when in cellular coverage, your tracks are recorded on our servers ready to help emergency services if required. Or download your own flights and review them on Google Earth.

efd0115e-974b-4fe7-862d-49cf00aa48f0.jpg0c119cc3-db2e-46b1-be28-69c50da50acd.jpg

OzRunways TX uses the cellular data network on your iPad or tethered iPhone and we use less than a megabyte per hour, nothing that will blow through your allowance!

To make the most of it, we highly recommend you put a data SIM in your iPad and as they have the best coverage we suggest Telstra. Your best value may be to add a $10 "Data Share" SIM to your existing account, or use an "Easy Share" business plan, which includes the extra SIM.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Guest Andys@coffs
Good point Jaba...a friend of mine had a normal USB in the cabin and could smell something when he was flying until he saw wafts of smoke in the cabin. Turned out it was the USB charger socket melting as he was charging his ipad on it. Jaycar sell a plugin one that doesnt emit any interferance. Its about$20 I think and it is 2 ports at 2.1 amps each. I use them in the car and they work great without getting right up the nose of AM broadcast stations like most do for my dashcam and charging iphones and ipads. I made my own one for the aircraft it has 4 ports capable of 2 amps each but if I was doing it again I would just get 2 of these and fit another 12V DC cigarette lighter sockethttp://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-Products-Electrical/Power-Conversion-&-Transformation/12VDC-Power-Supplies/4-2A-Dual-USB-Car-Charger/p/MP3666

Personally I think I would ditch the cigarette lighter concept entirely and just have panel mounted USB ports with an appropriate regulator behind the dash. Jabiru mount their Cig Lighter socket facing down under the dash on the side.Its easy with vibration for the module to slowly slip out to the point that the circuit is broken, but it still seems to be in the socket...all of a sudden you are wondering why is the ipad only at 28% charge...... Panel mount USB ports would only take up a very small part of the panel, and if you want to use a linear regulator to avoid the whole switch mode interference thing the rest of the panel makes a reasonable heatsink for the TO-3 or TO-220 packages

Andy

My cigarette lighter plug with adapter shows charging for a few minutes then stops charging for some reason. (Samsung 10.5" tablet)

Panel sign says 2 amps max. Got a feeling it needs more for this device.

Had me baffled for a while.

Same adapter works fine in the car....

So not only make sure it will charge but will continually charge.

I have a friend who's factory outlet won't charge his ipad too.

Guest Andys@coffs

beware the indicator that says charge or not.....I have seem ipads claim no charge but overnight the capacity increases...similarly in the car I have seen the charge indicator on but the capacity never increasesdespite the battery being only 1/2 charged....... ignore the indicator longer term and look only at battery life remaining, after all that's all that matters

Andy

beware the indicator that says charge or not.....I have seem ipads claim no charge but overnight the capacity increases...similarly in the car I have seen the charge indicator on but the capacity never increasesdespite the battery being only 1/2 charged....... ignore the indicator longer term and look only at battery life remaining, after all that's all that matters

Yeah, I think your right. It may never have been charging, just indicating it was.Battery Life level was constantly dropping.

• 2 weeks later...

And have a look at the Sportys Pilot shop USA Website which has lots of Mount and Power options for IPads.

I've found their service excellent albeit a bit expensive but whatever you need, they will have!

• 9 months later...
MikeThe tablet needs to have a GPS module in it, most these day do...except in the apple camp where you only get one of those if you pony up for the cellular (3G/4G) models. WiFi is needed at home to install the program and its updates and maps.

In the cockpit you just need power and somewhere to put the tablet.

However, for myself I would generally always have 3G/4G as well so you don't end up out of map coverage because you didn't add the map you now need before you left home.

If you have a smartphone as well then its very possible to pair the tablet to the smartphone and use its data capability. If your phone is apple then I suggest its probably best if your tablet is apple (except to note that you still then have a GPS deficiency to deal with) , similarly if android then so should the tablet because there have in the past been times when one wouldn't play with the other despite them both arguing to be fully standards compliant....

In my view (and I own an android Samsung tablet 3 lite, and an ipad mini retina) the apple version is more mature and capable, whether you need that extra capability is a function of your own ability to use it. If I owned neither or just the Samsung then I personally wouldn't pay more for the apple version because at the end of the day if you have a moving map, and that map contains all the airborne info you need then some of the extras while nice to have imho aren't worth eth $hundreds more that they will cost to go the apple route, and in any event im sure that the android version will catch up within 12 to 18 months or so

Andy

Hi Andy

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" tablet (Android OS; V5 Lillipop and GPS GLONASS) and signed up for Ozrunway android. I can not get the position to show on the WAC charts or any other charts. I turn on the tablet GPS. I'm a sea at present so cannot connect to wifi to try and set the GPS on the table with WiFi connection. Also cannot email OzRunway with a question until i get on shore late Friday.

Any ideas you have is appreciated.

Regards

Mike

at sea at present so cannot connect to wifi to try and set the GPS on the table with WiFi connection. Also cannot email OzRunway with a question until i get on shore late Friday.Any ideas you have is appreciated.

Regards

Mike

You can't email ozrunways becuase your at sea yet you can post on this forum?

You obviously have internet access, am I missing something?

You can't email ozrunways because your at sea yet you can post on this forum?You obviously have internet access, am I missing something?

Hi Robbo

I did forecast this question may be asked. Thanks and hope following answers the question.

I haven't got my email password with me. Don't want to use another person on boards email account.

I recall someone may have said that when accessing GPS on the android for the first time I may have to be connected with wifi. At home ashore we have a Telstra wifi modem so I'll be trying that when i'm back.

From what I was told a mini ipad needed to be wifi & cellular and androids had GPS.

Mine is just showing the searching for the GPS indicator in its top left of screen. (My nokia basic phone can acquire satellite GPS location from where I am)

I'm learning as I go.

All the FAQ's seem to be 2014 vintage and the one about not acquiring GPS doesn't answer my questions.

Also thought if I can get it to work this is a great forum to have the answer to share with others.

Cheers

Mike

Hi RobboI did forecast this question may be asked. Thanks and hope following answers the question.

I haven't got my email password with me. Don't want to use another person on boards email account.

I recall someone may have said that when accessing GPS on the android for the first time I may have to be connected with wifi. At home ashore we have a Telstra wifi modem so I'll be trying that when i'm back.

From what I was told a mini ipad needed to be wifi & cellular and androids had GPS.

Mine is just showing the searching for the GPS indicator in its top left of screen. (My nokia basic phone can acquire satellite GPS location from where I am)

I'm learning as I go.

All the FAQ's seem to be 2014 vintage and the one about not acquiring GPS doesn't answer my questions.

Also thought if I can get it to work this is a great forum to have the answer to share with others.

Cheers

Mike

Not having a go at you mate :)

I should have known it would have been something like that :)

You can go onto the ozrunways site and actually ask the quistain without emailing them from your account, it will create like a thread to your private conversation and you can bookmark the ticket link and view it :)

http://help.ozrunways.com/discussion/new

You might also want to check the app permisions under settings as it may have network or location disabled, if location is disabled it will block it from using the gps.

• Like 1

Hi AndyI just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" tablet (Android OS; V5 Lillipop and GPS GLONASS) and signed up for Ozrunway android. I can not get the position to show on the WAC charts or any other charts. I turn on the tablet GPS. I'm a sea at present so cannot connect to wifi to try and set the GPS on the table with WiFi connection. Also cannot email OzRunway with a question until i get on shore late Friday.

Any ideas you have is appreciated.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

There is an Android app called "GPS Test" (free) that you can instal and will show if your inbuilt GPS module is working. start the app and it should give you lat/long. Another screen will give you speed. Great for working out if things are working.

"The GPS Test app for Android is a utility that shows GPS information read from your phones internal GPS. Will support GLONASS phones. The app has several colour schemes, which could be used to match other instrumentation, used along side the app. It has a "night mode" colour scheme as well."

If you like this app, please like GPS Test on Facebook: -

http://www.facebook.com/gpstest

• Helpful 1

Not having a go at you mate :)I should have known it would have been something like that :)

You can go onto the ozrunways site and actually ask the quistain without emailing them from your account, it will create like a thread to your private conversation and you can bookmark the ticket link and view it :)

http://help.ozrunways.com/discussion/new

You might also want to check the app permisions under settings as it may have network or location disabled, if location is disabled it will block it from using the gps.

Thanks Robbo. No worries. I'll be back tomorrow evening so will email ozrunways. They have been great in the two emails I sent them when deciding the small tablet (ipad / android). At the end of the day I'm trying to have the tablet loaded with charts etc and not subscribed to a teleco. I know it will have less features and info available and that's ok.

Cheers

Mike

Hi MikeThere is an Android app called "GPS Test" (free) that you can instal and will show if your inbuilt GPS module is working. start the app and it should give you lat/long. Another screen will give you speed. Great for working out if things are working.

"The GPS Test app for Android is a utility that shows GPS information read from your phones internal GPS. Will support GLONASS phones. The app has several colour schemes, which could be used to match other instrumentation, used along side the app. It has a "night mode" colour scheme as well."

If you like this app, please like GPS Test on Facebook: -

http://www.facebook.com/gpstest

Thanks Col

I'll do that when I can have WiFi.

Thanks

Mike

Mike it sounds like you have location services for the ozrunrays app disallowed.

We had a fellow flyer with the exact same problem except it was with an iPad, we ended up going into settings, privacy, location services and that had a list of all the apps and their permission for getting your location, it was just a matter of allowing ozrunways to access location and all came good

• Agree 1

Mike it sounds like you have location services for the ozrunrays app disallowed.We had a fellow flyer with the exact same problem except it was with an iPad, we ended up going into settings, privacy, location services and that had a list of all the apps and their permission for getting your location, it was just a matter of allowing ozrunways to access location and all came good

Thanks

Back tomorrow and I'll post the remedy incase its helpful to others.

Cheers

Mike

• 3 months later...

If its any help attached are the images for the mini tablet mount I made up. Two tabs at the bottom hold it in and I'm using shock cord at the top. The holder cradel is lined in sticky back felt and it will hold the tablet in its protective case and I can fit the charge / power cord from the bottom. Cheers Mike

P1100662.JPG.864a5b4c196a0bbf8f548f21d4ab7d50.JPG

P1100677.JPG.bb0b777e0f36390478f1c6662002a03b.JPG

P1100663.JPG.bf9618c0fdfcea601f018ff16470eb7a.JPG

P1100665.JPG.10f867a1ea1b1ecd71df1b46245b8859.JPG

P1100672.JPG.8e099a91169c1e5a9e933092f47bb9c7.JPG

• Like 2

Job finished now. The felt lining is sticky backed felt. Looking forward to the airfield dring out and getting a flight in hopefully this weekend sometime.

P1100690.JPG.210b332eedb992e45f56db8aa0ab4f3d.JPG

P1100680.JPG.dd38b1670cf0eedd5ca7457feb29b277.JPG

If its any help attached are the images for the mini tablet mount I made up. Two tabs at the bottom hold it in and I'm using shock cord at the top. The holder cradel is lined in sticky back felt and it will hold the tablet in its protective case and I can fit the charge / power cord from the bottom. Cheers Mike[ATTACH=full]44328[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]44327[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]44326[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]44325[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]44324[/ATTACH]

P1100684.JPG.0e05efc27c73433609d6ff7d61abe8b7.JPG

• Like 1