Icom A200 repairs

Best way to describe is an intermittent "crackle" that is more prevelent on ground run, less airborne. But it dies occur in flight. To me sounds similar to a capacitor discharge. That said, I removed the radio and tested with a different unit. No Probs. So cradle and externals ok. Next we found by using an external cradle we can get the same result. Have a nice radio guy at airfield who can replicate the problem in an external cradle. But that said we have checked board etc and cannot isolate the actual problem. I'm happy to pay someone who can fix but just get annoyed at the large costs charged by the commercial "certified" workshops with large overheads for simple fixes.

A techo's worst nightmare - intermittent fault. Has the radio been powered up on a bench and left running? I'm a (aging) radio tech and used to fix two way radios when they were the size of shoe boxes and one could identify the various components and stages. I downloaded the service manual for the A200 - seems fairly straight forward. I fly out of Gawler and live in the northern burbs of Adelaide.

Hummm..well it's not really intermittent. On a test bench it fires up and immediately you can tap the case and it will give the sound. I have a great "old" techno who looks after our radios at Murray Bridge but this one has him stumped

Is the crackle affected by the volume control (if yes it's before the audio stage). Used to be fun working on the old gear. I am amazed at how expensive a simple AM transceiver for the air bands is. These days they should be no more than $200.