One Less Caravan

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

Skydive Dubai lost one of their Caravans at the Desert DZ yesterday. The aircraft suffered a 'technical difficulty' at 2500ft shortly after takeoff. All fifteen jumpers where requested to remain onboard so as not to upset the CoG (?). The aircraft landed amongst sand dunes suffering wing and undercarriage damage then fire took hold. All fifteen jumpers and pilot escaped unharmed.

Skydive Dubai have what is considered to be the best fleet of jump aircraft in the world that are pampered and maintained on a no expense spared program.

(Personally i would have gone for help as soon as the noise ceased)

673439744_skydivedubai.jpg.ce2e3834fdd9fce5007074e2c6b20149.jpg

I better add, I gave Ozzie a funny, not because the aircraft burning is funny. The funny bit was the part in brackets. He was going to jump out and get help as soon as the noise stopped. Lol. What a classic. I got a good laugh out if that one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I can remember the first time I went up to jump. The instructor quite clearly told us that if the plane got into difficulty below 1000' we were to ride it to the ground. He on the other hand was going to sacrifice himself by jumping to prepare a soft landing for the rest of us at anything above 100'

• Haha 2

many many years ago about the 1978 80 these 6 blokes hopped on a plane to go to 10000 ft at about 1500 ft the plane shuddered then five watched as the plane nearly made it to the strip

the pilot recons that it was the quickest exit he had felt

these blokes might have been silly and done stupid things

but why would they stay on board a shuddering plane good point

Guest ozzie

Seriously tho there is something possibly wrong with these so called "dependable engines" been a rash of engine stoppages over the last year or so mainly compressor stator blade failures and with another report of an engine failure on a drop zone in DeLand Florida today.

Guest Maj Millard
Skydive Dubai lost one of their Caravans at the Desert DZ yesterday. The aircraft suffered a 'technical difficulty' at 2500ft shortly after takeoff. All fifteen jumpers where requested to remain onboard so as not to upset the CoG (?). The aircraft landed amongst sand dunes suffering wing and undercarriage damage then fire took hold. All fifteen jumpers and pilot escaped unharmed.Skydive Dubai have what is considered to be the best fleet of jump aircraft in the world that are pampered and maintained on a no expense spared program.

(Personally i would have gone for help as soon as the noise ceased)

[ATTACH=full]36792[/ATTACH]

And I would have been right behind you out the door Oz....!! To hell with the CG...pilots got a chute hasn't he..

Guest Maj Millard

Oz, like any machine, the PT-6 as good as they are can only respond to the quality of maintenance and servicing provided. They no doubt lead a heavy life in jump caravans as they do on the amphib ones at Air Whitsunday ingesting salt water and air each day. Maybe those desert ones suck their share of fine sand each load.

Most are fitted with trend data download systems which can indicate impending problems...but even then subject to interpretation and action.

Nothing goes forever and they are subject to ultimate failure on occasions. Generally a great powerplant as you know, well deserving of the P&W badge.

Guest ozzie

Just found out DeLands was a Pac 750. same engine family, i think the P&W halo is slipping. This engine failure was at 300ft and into a clear grass field. another good outcome.

BTW Skydive Taupo have just received their replacement Pac 750 after the blow up and ditching of their last one last year.