ELT Beacons

As a matter of interest with 406 beacons how many personal ones get used after a mishap. Was it set off before touchdown, after, or not at all? With fixed installation did it work? Or did something prevent that like structual damage or aerial wipeoff? Chas

apparently NASA are testing the fixed automatic ELT's to see if they actually work, i think the initial report suggested 90% failed to activate on impact. so, i always carry mine in my pocket, and if i need i will activate it before i land if the engine quits.

apparently NASA are testing the fixed automatic ELT's to see if they actually work, i think the initial report suggested 90% failed to activate on impact. so, i always carry mine in my pocket, and if i need i will activate it before i land if the engine quits.

I have read something similar although not quite that high. Vaguely recall it was just under 50%. But I'm not going to disagree with you on the effect that even that percentage has.

The other factor ( and maybe the combination of these adds up to the 90%) is that a significant number become useless after impact. Things like the aircraft sinks or is burned and the Elt either stops functioning or the signal is attenuated enough to be useless.

I agree with you. I carry mine in the door pocket next to my left hand and when wearing a life jacket over water I put it in the jacket pocket.

I have a second one I bought for bushwalking and the passenger gets that when we are travelling. ( with appropriate instruction about usage and not setting off both together etc. )

The atsb report available at the link below shows the failure rate for fixed elts isn't as high as 90% but is still high.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/2012/ar-2012-128.aspx

These days they are cheap enough to to have both a fixed and personal one.

Its mandated that we have them even if we used spider tracks. Elt in pocket is great. However in recent very untidy endings they have not been used. On one bad day not long ago it was gps on cellphone that found the one on route to Albion Park. Of course the chance of cell phone coverage is also slim. Chas NZ