Port Phillip Bay / Great Ocean Rd flight suggestions

Stoney

On the October long weekend, a group of us are intending to fly from Adelaide via Warracknabeal and Bacchus Marsh, then Laverton clockwise around Port Phillip Bay to Tyabb.

The following day will perhaps be via Mornington Peninsula and then coastal along the Great Ocean Road back to Mount Gambier.

Some of our aircraft will need fuel every 2 hours at about 90kts - most are RA (mainly Jabiru) with a glide free of populated area requirement.

Also the area from Torquay / Cape Otway / Port Campbell looks like a beautiful scenic route but not many safe landing options in case of emergency.

Any suggestions or tips from locals or anyone who has done this route?

Sounds like a great trip. I'm not sure about the 'glide free' bit as that's not such an issue for me. Having a quick look on Google Earth I suspect it's not a great issue with the route you have outlined. Keep coastal along the bay until you pass Mt Eliza before cutting across to Tyabb. We've flown coastal to SA from Melbourne maybe half a dozen times. It's a beautiful flight on a good day. You are right that there aren't many safe landing options along the way to Port Campbell but it's not a long flight from Torquay, about 85 miles. You can refuel at Warnambool, Mt Gambia, Aldinga etc if you need to on your way back. Remember to check the 'fly neighbourly' information for the Apostles area.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

K-man is right to point out the "fly neighbourly" area. When I did it, there was a lot of helicopter activity shuttling sightseers, so don't forget to communicate on 127.1 and fly the FN recommended altitudes to maintain separation.

Don't forget your camera - it's beautiful along there!

I operate out of Colac - YOLA which is 15 minutes from the coast around Torquay, Lorne and inland access to Port Campbell for those who don't like the Otways - Cape Otway route.

And I know most of the safe landing options in that area. We have avgas and clubhouse facilities and a sealed strip. Maybe able to organize a BBQ if required. PM me for further info.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Avalon can put a bit of a dent in a trip around the bay, and even Point Cook, so make sure you check your Notams, VNC, VTC and the Melbourne Basin VFG

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/pilots/download/melbourne.pdf

If you stay a mile offshore as you track south down the eastern shoreline of Port Phillip you will miss the PJ zone at Point Ormond. Then track direct from abeam Rickets to Carrum, you will remain outside of the Moorabbin control zone. Monitor Melb Radar on 135.7 in the Basin and YMMB Tower on 123.0 as you transit. Both will appreciate a call with intentions.

I have to say the trip across the Heads is my preferred route because it really is scenic; the wildness of the coastline between Point Nepean and Cape Schank is spectacular and you will fly over Cheviot Beach where Prime Minister Harold Holt disappeared so long ago now. The Cheviot was a steam/sail vessel of 230' LOA which was wrecked in 1887 with many lives lost on the rocks off the beach that bears it's name. There are hundreds of shipwrecks along the Victorian coast and the South-western section is known by that name. The entrance to Port Phillip is litteredwith wrecks and was known as one of the most dangerous entrances around the world until the plotting of its many and dredging of its many hazards.

The SS Time was lost on Corsair Rock (also named after the first ship wrecked on it) in 1949 and my dad took us to see it stuck fast. All that's left today is a big bow anchor encrusted and held in the Rock. http://home.vicnet.net.au/~maav/diary3.htm

You can still see this slightly to your port and just offshore of Point Nepean if you cross directly from Point Lonsdale.,

There have been hundreds of wrecks over the years and a little of their history is available here

http://oceans1.customer.netspace.net.au/portphillip-wrecks.html

Enjoy the trip!

Kaz

• Informative 3

Ten minutes inland of the 12 Apostles is Cobden Airfield - 900 metre sealed runway, Avgas, Clubrooms (always open has toilets, showers, beds, tea and coffee free to Air travellers.) Town a short walk away for food if required. Cobden aero club members are about most weekends so a BBQ or rides into town are there for the asking. Crossing the Heads and following the coast to Port Campbell is a great flight ( check ERSA for "fly friendly info for 12 Apostles to Peterborough), east of Warrnambool there could be Whales just offshore - all great scenery all the way to Portland and beyond. Have fun!!.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information everyone. The more information I get, the more excited I get.

I'm starting to think I will have to make further trips to further explore all the options, three days just won't be enough.

K-man - thanks for the tip about entry point to Tyabb. It looks a better option to my initial draft plan.

OZJohn and billwoodmason - thanks for the info on these airstrips, I would have overlooked them. I may contact you for more info after I have spoken with the other members of the group.

Kaz - I think we may be kindred spirits.

I get as much enjoyment from planning a trip as doing it. I love to research the area, the history and the people who went before.

Thank you so much for this information. I can see I will have a lot of late nights now.

Also, thanks for including the link for the CASA Melbourne Basin VFR booklet, I knew I had seen it before and spent half an hour on the CASA website looking for it before giving up.

It has a lot of great information in it.

I am really looking forward to this trip, especially as my Son will be coming along with me.

He is the one who bought me a TIF and is the whole reason for me flying at all.

Who could have known what a wonderful door opened for me that day.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks Robbo, we are not going to Geelong this time, but will keep it in mind for the future.

I have just been looking on the internet for Tiger Moth World.

Looks great! thanks for the info.