Changing planes

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One important thing to not overlook is trim. Will it fly hands off in your nominated attitude , speed. A lot of people do not trim properly. Chas

I've been told that I trim too much! I think you should be able to do most of final, except the flare, without moving the stick if you get the approach right.

One important thing to not overlook is trim. Will it fly hands off in your nominated attitude , speed. A lot of people do not trim properly. Chas

I've been told that I trim too much! I think you should be able to do most of final, except the flare, without moving the stick if you get the approach right.

Ada Elle

browse back through the comments on here, you have asked for advice and been given many options/advice.

Everyone is trying to help so dont take the advice as negative after all you asked the question.

To move your focus why not read a little on overthinking and the problems associated with that as there is plenty of tips there and also some honest statistics. Whilst we overthink things were are not focussing on what we should be....and there is an answer in itself if you think about it.

Maybe try another airfield if you are having trouble with your local strip.

But most of all enjoy your flying, from your comments I would say that is not happening at the moment and you can do something about that.

Dont worry about the glass half empty fill it up and smile 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Ada Elle

browse back through the comments on here, you have asked for advice and been given many options/advice.

Everyone is trying to help so dont take the advice as negative after all you asked the question.

To move your focus why not read a little on overthinking and the problems associated with that as there is plenty of tips there and also some honest statistics. Whilst we overthink things were are not focussing on what we should be....and there is an answer in itself if you think about it.

But most of all enjoy your flying, from your comments I would say that is not happening at the moment and you can do something about that.

Dont worry about the glass half empty fill it up and smile 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Sorry - I am asking for general advice, and it was getting derailed into specifics of flying. It almost feels like mansplaining - why is the assumption (made early in this thread, for example), that I can't fly the plane? I know how to use rudders, I know how to land crosswind, I know how to use trim, I can fly a circuit. What I struggled with was flying to a familiar airport, in a plane I was familiar with but not at that airport, and not using all the visual cues from a different aircraft. I want to know how people avoid runway perspective illusions. How do you get your brain to not be tricked into little cues that will trip you up.

(Also, switching stick hands - how do people do it?)

Sorry - I am asking for general advice, and it was getting derailed into specifics of flying. It almost feels like mansplaining - why is the assumption (made early in this thread, for example), that I can't fly the plane? I know how to use rudders, I know how to land crosswind, I know how to use trim, I can fly a circuit. What I struggled with was flying to a familiar airport, in a plane I was familiar with but not at that airport, and not using all the visual cues from a different aircraft. I want to know how people avoid runway perspective illusions. How do you get your brain to not be tricked into little cues that will trip you up.

(Also, switching stick hands - how do people do it?)

Last part... In rough air you have both hands on at one point. Otherwise it's not critical if you are trimmed out.

Runway aspect visual clues are a big subject Some illusions cause erroneous approaches. Downhill runway for instance . Looks like you are undershooting when your approach is correct , so people often get too high and overshoot. Intersecting runways can be interesting too especially when the intersection is near the end of one runway. Griffith as an example.. People have difficulty fixing threshold in their mind on cross strip, if they aren't prepared for it. Nev

Last part... In rough air you have both hands on at one point. Otherwise it's not critical if you are trimmed out.

Runway aspect visual clues are a big subject Some illusions cause erroneous approaches. Downhill runway for instance . Looks like you are undershooting when your approach is correct , so people often get too high and overshoot. Intersecting runways can be interesting too especially when the intersection is near the end of one runway. Griffith as an example.. People have difficulty fixing threshold in their mind on cross strip, if they aren't prepared for it. Nev

have you ever driven on the wrong side of the road, a'la US or France? its kinda similar, in that we expect it to be worse than it is, but we adapt pretty well. I have yet to land a plane from the right seat however, that's gotta mess with you!

have you ever driven on the wrong side of the road, a'la US or France? its kinda similar, in that we expect it to be worse than it is, but we adapt pretty well. I have yet to land a plane from the right seat however, that's gotta mess with you!

Never have. My instructor offered to put me in the right seat to see if I flew better with stick in right hand and throttle in left.

• Caution 1

Never have. My instructor offered to put me in the right seat to see if I flew better with stick in right hand and throttle in left.

Funny enough, I had more trouble coming back home and now being comfortable driving two different ways. It was no longer a case of do it all opposite to what I was accustomed to.

Funny enough, I had more trouble coming back home and now being comfortable driving two different ways. It was no longer a case of do it all opposite to what I was accustomed to.

Why? I have no problem in any seat. However I do know most pilots cannot fly their own aircraft from the right hand seat. Perhaps it would be a good way to sharpin up some basic skills. Chas

Why? I have no problem in any seat. However I do know most pilots cannot fly their own aircraft from the right hand seat. Perhaps it would be a good way to sharpin up some basic skills. Chas

No idea, just never done it so all i can do at the moment is think about it.. that's when the overthinking comes in, when we try to think through unfamiliar situations and attempt to anticipate the unforeseen. in reality, i am sure you are right and it would be no worse than switching seats in the car.

No idea, just never done it so all i can do at the moment is think about it.. that's when the overthinking comes in, when we try to think through unfamiliar situations and attempt to anticipate the unforeseen. in reality, i am sure you are right and it would be no worse than switching seats in the car.

When you are consciously thinking - "keep right", "turn right on roundabouts" etc it is okay driving on the opposite side than what you are used to - as long as you have not overstressed your mental capacity and ability to maintain the rational thought process. The danger comes when you are distracted as the result of an emergency when rational thought is replaced by the programmed automated response. I know of cases where people driving in the foreign country have ended up crossing into oncoming traffic as a result of you have a problem such as a tyre bursting because the instinctive response was to pull left (as you do in Australia) .

Same with flying - you need to train the muscles to react instinctively during an emergency. The problem comes when the response is different in different aircraft and you are constantly changing. If the response is the same then there is no problem but if the response is different then problems or delays may occur which could have catastrophic consequences. Hence why most systems, especially those needed in an emergency, should be standardised. No problem for most of the time but for low time pilots with limited experience it could be a concern in an emergency where an automated response is necessary. The more experience you have and better familiarity with the aircraft the more automated the response becomes and the problem becomes less of an issue since you are more able to adapt to the different environments.

• Like 1