Plastic Fin and Rudder tips.

Lyndon

Gday. I have primed and about to assemble. Fitting the plastic tips on the fin and rudder. No pre drilled holes. Any tips. I would rather learn by other people's mistakes as I'm sure I will do something wrong.

Thanks Lyndon

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/another-new-savannah-xl-on-its-way.10493/page-3

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/another-new-savannah-xl-on-its-way.10493/page-8

I used scrap alu strips I cut and slid them between the skins and the ribs it was easy then I could rivet the tips on anywhere I wanted although I used rivnuts as well for some of the tips like around the servo so you can remove the tip when servicing. The slotted strips you get in the kit are fitted a little differently but it makes it hard to line up the holes this way using the sheet it doesnt matter you drill your own holes

Mark

from memory the elevator was the same loop on both ends the main issue is getting the correct rudder cables in the fuselage on the correct sides they are actually a left and right side cable...I got mine wrong and had to take them out and put them in the correct sides it was a real pain. The countersunk rivets need to be only on the area that the base of the fin fits flush up against the tail post all the rest of the rivets are just standard ones.

There is a top and bottom on the tailplane it has to do with what side the hinging pins on the end ribs of the fixed tailplane so just make sure you have that right before you skin it...the XL elevator and trim arrangement is a little different to the VG though

I have two identical blocks left. One on either side of the nose skin or is one used somewhere else. The cable is installed so the adjuster will be up the front of the plane as this makes sense to me.

Lyndon

1442971267247-2037547797.jpg.ffe812f74fbed4dbfa9c2de66508b7ef.jpg

I dont recall having any spare blocks on the cable....for some reason I think there were 2 blocks used in the tailplane but it was 3 years or more ago when I did mine. I would have to have a look at mine to remember...I may have some pictures I took at home I will look this arvo when I get home

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/another-new-savannah-xl-on-its-way.10493/I see it is up to 45 pages now and 68,000 views wow thats a lot. Never thought it would be read so much when I started it

It is almost the definitive build thread on this Forum and it is really worth going through no matter what model Savannah someone intends to build. There is lots of 091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif for the tricky parts of the build.

Thanks again, Mark, for setting up this very informative thread! 107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

• Agree 1