Kippy

KIPPY

I have a P.P.L. but no plane. YET. Unfortunately my brother passed away in California and left me his P28

Piper Cherokee which he spent huge amounts of money on, the plane is in almost new condition. Now I want to bring it to Australia, I have contacts in Sausalito area to dismantle it and ship it. I would like to know costs and what is required from the C.A.S.A. to register it in Aus. Also if there is anybody out there who has recently done this, what are the pit falls to avoid.

I have a P.P.L. but no plane. YET. Unfortunately my brother passed away in California and left me his P28Piper Cherokee which he spent huge amounts of money on, the plane is in almost new condition. Now I want to bring it to Australia, I have contacts in Sausalito area to dismantle it and ship it. I would like to know costs and what is required from the C.A.S.A. to register it in Aus. Also if there is anybody out there who has recently done this, what are the pit falls to avoid.

Hi Kippy, and welcome to the forum.

Really sorry to hear about your Brother,. . . . . . losing friends is bad enough but losing a sibling or ANY family member is heartrending ( I know, I lost my younger Sister aged 33 )

I can't help with your request for info regarding shipping your plane,. . .but I'm sure there may be a few somebodies on here who will try their best to assist.

I wonder where you will be settling in Australia, . . I used to live in Melbourne in Victoria state, then the Brisbane area ( South East Queensland ).

Phil.

• 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

You must ensure it is REMOVED from the US register. If that's not done while you are there it gets really messy. Fly it to where you can have it sent in a container through someone here, who does it regularly and has a good reputation who can handle all the process. Nev

I have a P.P.L. but no plane. YET. Unfortunately my brother passed away in California and left me his P28Piper Cherokee which he spent huge amounts of money on, the plane is in almost new condition. Now I want to bring it to Australia, I have contacts in Sausalito area to dismantle it and ship it. I would like to know costs and what is required from the C.A.S.A. to register it in Aus. Also if there is anybody out there who has recently done this, what are the pit falls to avoid.

002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif Hello KIPPY,

Welcome to the Forum,

If you care to use the search function, you will probably find a fairly recent thread on shipping a plane from North America to Australia.

Greetings Kippy

Can't give you any good poop on importing a GA aircraft (probably not too much difference) however I did bring in an RAA experimental (Celebrity Biplane) earlier this year from the east coast of Florida. After an initial very unsatisfactory run around by a Melbourne freight forwarding agent (I can advise via PM if you wish to know who to avoid), on recommendation from another forumite on this site, I went with a mob in Brisbane who very efficiently handled all the export/import requirements at both ends with no hassles or variations in their quoted price. They and their Yank counterparts went out of their way to assist with any hiccups that came up at either end. I had to arrange the actual dis-assembly and packing into container of the aircraft at separate expense but it seems you have this already in hand. As F'hunter points out, there are a number of export absolute requirements by the US authorities prior to containerization/departure and very specific Australian Aquis & Customs paperwork processing prior to the aircraft's arrival and clearance procedures here. Your selected Freight Fwdg agent will guide you in these matters (too many to relate here). One thing that you may have to fight for (and it's worth it) is to ensure that you or your delegate is present when the container is opened at this end. Obvious shipping damage notwithstanding, safety concerns re: un-noticed or un-declared anomolies need to be identified at this time. I suffered this problem with a vintage vehicle that I imported some years back. If you wish any specific details of my not-unpleasant recent import, PM me and I'll relate what it took. cheers

At least one maintenance organisation near Melbourne can take containers direct for customs inspection on-site and then assemble your airplane, issue CofA etc. The FAA has an Advisory Circular on exporting aircraft.

Talk to the person you have lined up here for the CofA - generally, you do not need an Export CofA (which requires a very recent Annual Inspection) from the USA.