What do I need before going solo?

Hi, I must have missed it in all the reading material, but I was curious what exams I need to have passed before my instructor can send me out solo when he thinks I'm ready? I keep forgetting to ask him. I've passed my Radio and Pre-Solo exams so far.

BAK and pre solo exam for first solo (circuits) then you will need to do a pre area solo exam before you venture out to the training area. The BAK is the major one the others are nothing.

Edit: GA or RA? My comments above are for GA.

There are five ground examinations and one formal flight test involved in the initial program. The first is the Pre-Solo Test which is a simple test on the rules of the air (i.e. the traffic rules), which must be passed before your first solo flight. The four other ground examinations, Basic Aeronautical Knowledge (BAK), Radio, Flight Rules & Air Legislation, Human Factors, must be passed before the Recreational Aviation Australia Pilot Certificate can be issued. All written examinations are 'multiple choice’.

http://www.rnac.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/LEARN-TO-FLY-PACK-1-3-14.pdf

• Informative 3

There are five ground examinations and one formal flight test involved in the initial program. The first is the Pre-Solo Test which is a simple test on the rules of the air (i.e. the traffic rules), which must be passed before your first solo flight. The four other ground examinations, Basic Aeronautical Knowledge (BAK), Radio, Flight Rules & Air Legislation, Human Factors, must be passed before the Recreational Aviation Australia Pilot Certificate can be issued. All written examinations are 'multiple choice’.http://www.rnac.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/LEARN-TO-FLY-PACK-1-3-14.pdf

Ok, so I've passed the Radio and Pre-Solo exams, so I should be good to go solo once the instructor thinks I'm ready for it...
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Let us know the minute that happens, good luck 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gifAlan.

Well, maybe after I land, Alan... could be a bit busy up there. From what I've read and talked with other pilots, I believe going solo is a very exciting moment.... I must be getting close... next lesson in 10 long days:crazy:

• Like 1

I am not certain but from memory you need to do your Air Legislation before first solo as well.

Sorry if I posted incorrect information, recreational aviation is not my speciality.

I quoted from the document I posted a link to.

SPORT PILOT, over the years, has run any number of "gosh, gee, there I was" articles about people going solo.

Yes, it is a personal milestone but best, I think, if it proves to be unexciting, all things considered!

• Agree 1

Hi, I must have missed it in all the reading material, but I was curious what exams I need to have passed before my instructor can send me out solo when he thinks I'm ready? I keep forgetting to ask him. I've passed my Radio and Pre-Solo exams so far.

A couple of things for you to consider:

1. Why would your instructor not provided you with an overview of your training, including exams? Might be worth asking for this, if the response is anything other than you being provided with a written overview I would be looking for an instructor who would provide this. You don't want to get to the RPC flight test and discover you need to sit for an exam(s) you haven't prepared for. It's much easier to learn little bits along the way than to cram over a few days. You'll also retain more of the information if given the chance to apply it to your flying. HF would be an example.

2. This type of question can be answered by referring to the RAAus Operations Manual (OM). You should become familiar with its content, without becoming too hung up on it you are legally required to comply with its directions. As a solo pilot (pilot in command) you become the person responsible for the aircraft, not the instructor.

Here's an extract from the OM (Section 3.01) regarding examinations prior to first solo flight. I think it is accepted the Radio Endorsemet exam will be complete too, although there is no direct statement as such in the OM.

STUDENT PILOT CERTIFICATE HOLDERS

Solo Flight

Prior to undertaking a first solo flight a Student Pilot is required to pass a written PRE-SOLO AIR LEGISLATION multiple-choice examination set or approved by RA-Aus, which shall include a minimum of five (5) questions specific to the procedures at their training aerodrome. The examination will be conducted at an approved RA-Aus FTF.

Good luck and enjoy your first solo, many thousands of hours flown since mine 36 years ago, I still remember it like yesterday!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

As I said in my opening, line, I missed it in all the reading material. My instructor can not be blamed, as I changed schools and consequently, instructors recently. In all the business of learning to fly I simply forgot to ask.

Thank you for your information and the effort that you put in to provide it.

• 5 weeks later...

I was all set to go solo today, well, I thought I was ready. My instructor was talking to me about it. My flying has been consistent, and what happens? The radio failed on my training aircraft, so we had to take the 3 blade prop Lightwing instead. OMG! what a big increase in climb speed, that one extra blade makes! I was up at circuit height well before reaching the downwind turn, where I'm normally leveling out and turning at the same time.... It was a dream to fly! Glad I didn't go solo today, I got to fly a new plane 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I JUST FLEW MY FIRST SOLO TODAY!!!!! It happened at about 0830 this morning. I thought I'd just done 2 pretty ordinary circuits with my instructor on board, then he told me to shut down after taxiing off the runway. Then he got out and told me I'm good to take it up for a circuit. What a feeling when he closes the hatch and it's just me in the plane. I think I did my best circuit yet, Taxied and shut down and he told me to go for another spin. This one I did a go-around, things didn't quite look right on final, I got hit with a sudden updraft. Just after I was climbing away and made my go-around call, my Instructor called over the radio to say he was impressed. I came around for another landing, shut down, Got out and I swear, I felt 2 foot taller!!

• Like 3
  • Winner 3

Deciding to go around was a bigger deal than soloing. You made a command decision after assessing the situation correctly. You can do a good solo just by repeating all the things you have learned up to that point. a go around can be a very critical maneuver. Good work. Nev

• Agree 2

Deciding to go around was a bigger deal than soloing. You made a command decision after assessing the situation correctly. You can do a good solo just by repeating all the things you have learned up to that point. a go around can be a very critical maneuver. Good work. Nev

Thanks Nev, I'm not a risk taker by nature, just wanted to get home safely, not bang up the plane, and live to fly another day 101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif

I second the comments regarding decision making with a go around. I will of course always remember my first solo, however it felt really good on the day when I decided to do my first command go around. The satisfaction of knowing a good decision had been made in the pressure of the moment on short final when things had stopped going to plan. Reflecting after and knowing that I had done the right thing despite 'sacrificing' my 100% command landing record till that point was almost a relief. In hindsight it seems like a silly % to brag about. Thinking logically, it is much better to have a 100% safe 'landing without breaking the plane' rate than to maintain a 100% 'landing from each approach' rate. Well done...

• Agree 1

Even big stuff goes around. No need for headlines.. If there's a doubt remove it and take time to sort it out. Sometimes you are not back on the ground for 20 minutes or so, if the traffic is heavy, but them's the breaks. Safety is what counts. Nev

• Agree 2