New Training Syllabus

Roundsounds

I was talking to Andrew (Assistant Ops) at the AGM. The cross country training is going up to 12 hours of which 10 must be dual. The old Ops took it up to 10 hrs (up from 5) total, but no mention of minimum dual. I didn't ask anything beyond that.

Sue

Thanks Sue, I thought the minimum hours might have aligned with the RPL. Only minimum hours being 5 hours solo cross country and meet the competency standards and 2 hours of simulated instrument flight.

Given there seems to be a desire for RAAus to take over the administration of the RPL from CASA, I thought any changes would be to align the RAAus 3 axis class syllabus with that issued by CASA.

I was talking to Andrew (Assistant Ops) at the AGM. The cross country training is going up to 12 hours of which 10 must be dual. The old Ops took it up to 10 hrs (up from 5) total, but no mention of minimum dual. I didn't ask anything beyond that. 

Sue

The cross country requirements were changed to the above in November 2014 with the introduction of version 7.0 of the Operations manual and are referenced in 2.07 11(a). There are no additional requirements planned other than development of a separate appropriate controlled airspace component which was discussed at the AGM and is still under development. Enhancement of specific elements relating to lost procedures was discussed at the CFI conference.

• Haha 1

There are no additional requirements planned other than development of a separate appropriate controlled airspace component which was discussed at the AGM and is still under development. Enhancement of specific elements relating to lost procedures was discussed at the CFI conference.

Hopefully the CASA MOS Schedule 2 CTA and CTR competency standards will be adopted. Same story for "lost procedures".

Seems like an inefficient use of resources to develop a set of competency standards when there are a set out there. Particularly when they've been developed over many years by a bunch of experienced people.

Here are the competency standards found in MOS 2 regarding the lost procedure:

NAV.6 – Perform lost procedure

(a) acknowledge positional uncertainty in a timely manner;

(b) configure aircraft for range and endurance as required;

© apply recognised method to re-establish aircraft position;

(d) fix position;

(e) use radio to request assistance, if applicable;

(f) plan a timely precautionary search and landing if unable to complete flight safely to suitable aerodrome.

There are plenty of commercially produced pilot training manuals which put meaning to / describe what each of the points mean to a trainee pilot / instructor.

• Agree 1

Thanks Sue, I thought the minimum hours might have aligned with the RPL. Only minimum hours being 5 hours solo cross country and meet the competency standards and 2 hours of simulated instrument flight.Given there seems to be a desire for RAAus to take over the administration of the RPL from CASA, I thought any changes would be to align the RAAus 3 axis class syllabus with that issued by CASA.

Exactly. Given that many RPC pilots will eventually move on to an RPL - the sensible plan is to ensure they have done 5 hrs solo x/c, and have done 2 hrs IF, (assume you are able to do this with full attitude insruments in your 24- rego aircraft). This ensures 'recognition' of qualifications and allows the GA CFI to simply do a BFR plus the paperwork. RAAus will eventually take over all 'recreational' flight training up to 1500 kgs. CASA just haven't revealed the master plan yet!

happy days,