Albury to Rawsley park

stevron

I departed Albury on a beautiful morning with a nice tail wind for Swanhill . Topped up the tanks but could not find anyone to talk to. Off to Balranald for morning tea , got a lift into town with the owner of the local IGA super market. Nice little town, got a lift back to the strip with the help of Nelson brothers transport.

Flew direct to Mungo lodge for lunch and meet up with 3 other planes from the Bendigo flying club.

Mungo lodge is stones throw from the strip ,with a good restaurant and accomodation.

We left Mungo for a bumpy short flight to Bindara station. The station owner graded the strip for our arrival,

There is a sizeable tree at the start of the strip. There were cars waiting for us and we were delivered efficiently to the homestead. Accomodation at the homestead was pleasant , clean and comfortable.

We were able to have a few drinks and a lovely camp kitchen meal . All in all a very good spot to either camp or make use of the on site accomodation. The homestead is on the bank of a river with river gums surrounding .

I didnot partake in any excursion around the area but others did a walk along the backs and praised the tranquility . After a hearty home cooked breakfast it was off to Broken hill .Broken hill has a very long runway , fuel , cafe and a good tie down area. Some cross winds were present on our arrival and departure. The cafe was closing on our arrival , this was to cater for a senior citizen luncheon, fortunately I was still full from breakfast. Fuelled , we departed for Rawsley park. Flying at 6500 to escape the thermals, the flight was senic, interestingly beautiful. Arrival at Rawsley Park air strip was uneventful, the strip was in good order and being used by charter flights. Rawsley Park transfers to the motel area was via a people mover with an informative driver, who arranged a lift to the camp ground so we could obtain some refreshments.

After a rest and some rehydration, it was off to tea , one word, fantastic, what a meal and great company.

No fuel at Rawsley so we flew to Mildura . Mildura is another long runway air port but has limited information on parking . Our arrival found limited parking space (it was full). A cab ride into town , stayed over night at a motel . We meet for our last meal together and sadly departed the next day for home . A great trip with good people and would do it again in a flash.

• Like 1

Hi Stevron,

Thanks for descibing an interesting trip. A few years ago, 3 other pliots and myself flew from our base airfield at Penfield, near Sunbury, Victoria to Arkaroola in the northern Flinders Ranges via Wentworth, Pt Agusta, Marree, William Creek Arkaroola. Magnificient scenic views of our rugged ancient land and vibrant colors and land forms. Arkaroola homestead was a relaxed and interesting lpace with a rich and varied history. The Sprigg Family who established the place have a fascinating history and current family member Doug, was really welcoming and helpful. The strip is straightforward. We returned via Lake Frome to Broken Hill, Robinvale , Bendigo and to Penfield. This trip too about 25 hrs flying time spread out over 4-5 days. 2 Jabs, 1 Texan, 1 Gazelle. I recommend this area for its rugged beauty and expansiveness.