Starved and Exhausted

Guest ozzie

Changing the tanks on an IO-540 after fuel starvation will NOT immediately restart the engine; a common mistake by a few and it cost the lives of all on board a C210 on approach at Port Macquarie many years a go when the engine stopped and a tank change was carried out to no avail.

How do I know this ... I did it once on a slipping descent on parachute Ops. The out of balance slipping turn uncovered the fuel intake on the low tank and she went quiet. I just changed tanks expecting her to shortly burst into life ... didn't happen. Several minutes later I realised I was going to have to make an engine out landing. I selected a field and then had the presence of mind to hit the fuel boost pump switches ... the power surge was virtually immediate. A lesson learned ... read the POH more thoroughly next time, and I am very knowledgeable on engines and normally anal about the engine details. It can happen to any of us.

The IO -540 will take many minutes to pump fuel from a tank with fuel once selected after an engine stoppage when relying on the mechanical pump, and it is detailed in the POH. The only way for an instant restart is to select the electric fuel boost pumps ON. The delay can be very unsettling especially when you are running out of height.

• Like 1

Great advice David but the C210 is fitted with a IO-520. There are a very small amount with IO540' s with the IO-550 being being a much more common STC.

IF the POH method of switching from a dry tank is used It shouldn't be more than about 10seconds before she relights.

With due respect David when I did my 210 endorsement in the dim dark past I was taught it was normal procedure to immediately switch electric pump on then change tanks.

That was entirely my point; as I said read the POH. What you said is the correct procedure in the POH, but if you were not thorough in reading the POH and the conversion was not thorough and you relied on what a C172 or C182 or C180 would do, you would get caught as I did. I had been doing parachute ops previously in a C180 then converted to the C206 (same motor config as the C210).

I am not alone in getting caught in this 'little' omission.

Great advice David but the C210 is fitted with a IO-520. There are a very small amount with IO540' s with the IO-550 being being a much more common STC.IF the POH method of switching from a dry tank is used It shouldn't be more than about 10seconds before she relights.

Ben you are nit picking, IO-540; IO-520; IO-550; the principle is the same for fuel tank changeover.

The point I was making as I said above if you didn't know the correct procedure because you DIDNT READ THE POH, and you relied on what the old carburetted earlier types did in thinking the IO would relight, you were in for a surprise. It has killed a few in the past.

To be fair I was hardly nitpicking. The whole fuel system works different between types and with the lycoming wouldn't the fuel pump have already been on for a critical stage of flight?

I agree that the POH should be read, extremely thoroughly. The C210 calls for AUX pump low when changing from a a dry tank only. No pump for any other changes.

Jesus Ben,

The point I was trying to make was that when changing from one aircraft to another or even from one engine to another if you don't read the POH you can get caught out and plenty have as I was and some of them are dead.

In my case the engine flamed out on a slipping high speed descent, not a critical stage of flight, but again that digresses from the point I was attempting to make. Again digressing, obviously a boost pump is not needed when changing from one tank to another where both tanks have fuel.

I was attempting to make a point about changing from an empty tank with the engine out to a full tank in this particular series of IO engines in the specific circumstances I was in.

But don't worry, the bloody simple point I was attempting to make has been well and truly lost by now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

But don't worry, the bloody simple point I was attempting to make has been well and truly lost by now.

Only to those who didn`t get it in the first place, I reckon!!!

Frank

• Agree 4

Again digressing, obviously a boost pump is not needed when changing from one tank to another where both tanks have fuel.

On my aircraft it's strongly recommended to switch the boost pump on when changing tanks, though theoretically it should still changeover ok without it.

If you have aux tank fuel, during climbout or initial cruise - boost pump on, switch to aux tank, check everything running nicely for a minute or two, boost pump off.

Just before aux tank runs dry, or when pressure fluctuates - boost pump on, switch back to main tank, ditto as above before switching boost pump off.

• Like 1