Go Flying Podcast 22 released! – Ditching a DC-3 in Botany Bay

recflyer

What do you guys think of Rods action on the day?

[MEDIA=audio]http://traffic.libsyn.com/goflying/Go_Flying_Australia_Podcast_022.mp3[/MEDIA]

Click here for the show notes

Subscribe via iTunes by clicking here

Summary: Todays Interview is with Rod Lovell who is an ex Royal Australian Air Force pilot who was the captain of a DC-3 charter flight that had an engine failure at 200 feet after taking off from Sydney Airport. Despite only have seconds to deal with the situation Rod was able to successfully ditch the aircraft in Botany Bay with all passengers and crew safely able to exit the aircraft. Also in the interview we talk about other aircraft he has flown including the Macchi, Mirage, Lear 35 and the Beech 18.

I would love to hear some feedback.

I would love to hear any feed back (both good/bad) by the following means:

- Comments below this post

- Direct Message on the forum

- Comments function on my website www.goflying.net

- Contact form on my website

- twitter

- Our Facebook page

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Cheers,

Adam

Rod did an outstanding job, everyone survived and only one minor injury from memory. Rod's decision to ditch the aeroplane rather than persist with an assymetric condition which may not have had as favourable an outcome took quick thinking and decisive action.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Adam, nice episode (again), really enjoying getting my head back into flying and your podcasts are a big part of that. I may have missed it but Rob said CASA revoked his license 9 weeks later. How long was it revoked for? Is that a standard response to this sort of incident?

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Rod did an outstanding job, everyone survived and only one minor injury from memory. Rod's decision to ditch the aeroplane rather than persist with an assymetric condition which may not have had as favourable an outcome took quick thinking and decisive action.

Totally Agree!

Adam, nice episode (again), really enjoying getting my head back into flying and your podcasts are a big part of that. I may have missed it but Rob said CASA revoked his license 9 weeks later. How long was it revoked for? Is that a standard response to this sort of incident?Dave

Hi Dave. Thanks for the kind comment. Yes Rods license was suspended after the incident, if you interested you can read the BAS&I report about the incident on my website (which rod disputes). I don't have the details as to how long it was revoked for. Sorry can't comment on CASA as I have no idea.

There was also a Sunderland/Sandringham belonging to TEAL (New Zealand) which lost a motor and would not maintain height. They got down to wave height in ground effect and then started chucking out all the mail as it still wouldn't fly. Management threw everything at them, later, but when it was referred back to Shorts (the makers) it was discovered that some of the performance claimed was a bit optimistic. They always blame the pilot in these things. Easy way out. Nev

• Like 1

There was also a Sunderland/Sandringham belonging to TEAL (New Zealand) which lost a motor and would not maintain height. They got down to wave height in ground effect and then started chucking out all the mail as it still wouldn't fly. Management threw everything at them, later, but when it was referred back to Shorts (the makers) it was discovered that some of the performance claimed was a bit optimistic. They always blame the pilot in these things. Easy way out. Nev

Thanks for this. Very interesting.