Airfield near Jervis Bay?

pmccarthy

I am planning to go to a wedding at Jervis Bay and am looking at how I can fly there. It seems the closest field coming from the south would be Moruya, and I would have to rent a car from there. Does anyone have any other suggestion? Thanks.

I am planning to go to a wedding at Jervis Bay and am looking at how I can fly there. It seems the closest field coming from the south would be Moruya, and I would have to rent a car from there. Does anyone have any other suggestion? Thanks.

Jaspers brush? If MotzMerv is still about he might be able to provide some details . Or you could try seeking permission to use the Jervis Bay strip. If you don't ask the answer will always be No.

No, they aren't been overprotective, they are just been over sensitive really. Like most of the defence establishment, they just really aren't that keen with sharing their assets with the public, who they conveniently forget pay for them. They are two exceptionally well maintained strips and would be wonderful to let aircraft on them. When I was there a few years ago the person in charge of airfield operations at Nowra was trying to make positive steps towards letting the public use military facilities, but he just kept hitting a brick wall. Too many in the military just want to keep the status quo. It's a shame, there are a lot of really smart, talented people who could probably innovate quite well to improve a lot of things. The kangaroos on the strip are pretty bad, and very acclimatised to human activity, so the usual overfly may not get rid of them.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

That sounds good. Looks like the best way into Jaspers Brush for me would be via Yass and Goulburn, then straight across through R420A and R420C, assuming they are not active. Is there anything I should know about that route?

a bit of tiger country from east of Goulburn to the coastal escarpment, but fortunately, if you get there at the max height, i think you can at 7500 or 9500, you can get over it and be on a slow descent the entire way to the coast, so a long easy glide to safety if something goes wrong.

If you can't get into Jaspers due Nowra Military Restricted Areas being active at the time, closest field would be YWOL Wollongong which is a CTAF on 127.3. Probably 1 hr car drive south to Nowra/ J Bay area. Class C LL over Wollongong is 7500ft AMSL.