Class D Taxi Clearance at YMMB

Hi all,

Been a while since I've had to head into Moorabbin and just brushing up on procedures but not sure about something.

When do I need to contact Ground for clearance/s? Is it at start up or once I'm in the run up bay ready for taxi to the runway?

I've been looking on Ontrack, but some of the info is up to interpretation. It tells me that in the apron area, there is no need to contact Ground, only once I need to taxi for the runway. But in their Ground operations text section it (to me) implies that I need a clearance to the run up bays, and then a further clearance to leave it.

Appreciate the help in advance

If you intend to do circuits at Moorabbin then before start up call ground and ask for a start clearance advising that you wish to conduct circuits. That allows MB ground to regulate circuit traffic.

If you are starting for a departure then you do not need to contact ground until you have done your run up while you are still in the run up bay (north or south). You would then say words to the effect 'Moorabbin ground, A-B-C is for XX location with information YYY, request taxi for runway 17 left, . You read back what they tell you and use your taxi map if need be to take you to the holding point. At that location you then transfer to the Tower and advise ready.

Hint. Do not use the Northern run up bay when runway 31 or 13 is in use as that bay is effectively under the path of aircraft taking Off or landing.

R16

• Like 1
  • Agree 1