PDF Licence

Robbo

So.....

Now that each Part 61 licence that is printed a tree is lost, I am thinking of scanning the licence as a PDF and loading it onto the ipad so therefore I don't have to carry that tree with me.

Any legal issues with this?

image.jpeg.d76c6eb4189db30fef42725a97c1b7ce.jpeg That's exactly what I do, Robbo. My iPhone goes most places with me.

CASA's guide to their ramp checks says it is ok to just have a copy, my guess is that is based on the final draft Part 61. However, Part 61 requires the licence document to be carried i.e. not a copy.

• Like 1

I carry a colour copy of my bus driver's authority, as well as the original when I drive. The reason I have the copies is that I have a bad habit of leaving the original in the bus when I end my shift. At least I can produce a true copy to provide an inspector with the information required.

If an inspector jacked up about not producing the original, and that was due to the fact that I had left it in another vehicle, then I would suggest that he employ a few grey cells and see that I was attempting to comply with the requirement to display my authority. Strewth, the information contained on the copy is exactly the same as the original. I'm sure that the record kept by the authority does not have something that the original or copy have - a depiction of my handsome visage.

1172329402_Angryemu.jpg.1cb2aa57e789486758e5da8a54b3835b.jpg

OME

Could keep one folded up in the headset bag but the pdf is easier to produce, I guess if they wan't the original (that will be a photo copy as original will be in filing cabinet at home) I can give them the screwed up one.

[ATTACH=full]40965[/ATTACH] That's exactly what I do, Robbo. My iPhone goes most places with me.CASA's guide to their ramp checks says it is ok to just have a copy, my guess is that is based on the final draft Part 61. However, Part 61 requires the licence document to be carried i.e. not a copy.

Ok, I'm confused.

How I read the post was fhe crew must carry the licence or "electronic copy"

So what does that mean? Can you carry a COPY or not?

image.jpeg.88a77e04353bb68f473d424fd30306f2.jpeg

This is the relevant reg and in an earlier post I gave my opinion on what it means. CASA FCL are very helpful - you could email them and ask what this reg means and they will tell you what their lawyers think it means OR you could simply refer to CASA's published guide (extract copied in my earlier email) on ramp checks which clearly states that a copy is acceptable.

The draft Part 91 is also quite clear but its just a draft.

I spoke to CASA about this and was advised you can only carry an electronic copy of the licence if you are airline crew and have an authority to fly letter.

This is direct from casa, so don't shoot the messenger if it's wrong 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Thanks Robbo, that's consistent with my opinion on the reg but:

- did you get it in writing with a reference to the reg (I always follow up telecons with an email)?

- did you mention their ramp check guide?

Thanks Robbo, that's consistent with my opinion on the reg but:- did you get it in writing with a reference to the reg (I always follow up telecons with an email)?

- did you mention their ramp check guide?

Nope. I was sorting other things out with them and was not really concerned as I will just carry it in my bag anyway so if they challenge it I will just pull out the paper.

But will follow up this week and get something in writing, will send them an email instead of calling so will have a email trail.

I have just renewed my RAMPC medical, that is the GPs certificate allowing me to fly without the full medical.

To use it you have to carry the filled in forms used for the medical plus the letter from CASA which says you are legal. My printer has stopped working so I have the letter copied on my iPad. I would assume that would be legal as it came as an email.