Lightwing VIP2 IFA prop system

flyvulcan

Are there any forumites that have experience with the Lightwing VIP or VIP2 in flight adjustable prop system?

If so, could you please provide some feedback as to its performance, reliability, ease of use, ease of fitting etc.?

If you are using one, what type and size of blades are you using and do you consider that it was a worthwhile investment over your original prop system?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

How's the Dr-1 coming along? :) Ready for our dog fight yet?

Erm, not ready just yet. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif It has taken a bit of a back seat while I focus on the Lightning Bug and engine programs that I have underway. We want to get the Bug to at least 190 knots if we can. It's currently at about 180ktas at maximum cruise power but we are running out of pitch on our fixed pitch prop and the poor old Rotax is wanting to overspeed. Hence my enquiry about the VIP2 IFA hub.

My last foray into the workshop on the Dr1 was to bend up the tubing for the elevators which was successfully accomplished. I plan to have some more Dr1 therapy in the next couple of weeks where I hope to finish off the elevators. The tailplane will then be completed and we will need to order the next kit.

Too many plane projects and not enough time (or access to them for that matter: 2 X Lightning Bugs in the US, one Jet Bug in Adelaide and one Dr1 here in Qatar...) Still, I manage to keep them moving ahead.

• Like 2

Have you considered an Airmaster? Constant speed, full feathering. From UnZud. http://www.airmasterpropellers.com/

High end pitch stop is adjustable, so you shouldn't run out of pitch at hgh speed.

Flown a Europa trigear with one on a 912S. Thing goes like a scalded cat and climbs like a rocket.

Robert

Have you considered an Airmaster? Constant speed, full feathering. From UnZud. http://www.airmasterpropellers.com/High end pitch stop is adjustable, so you shouldn't run out of pitch at hgh speed.

Flown a Europa trigear with one on a 912S. Thing goes like a scalded cat and climbs like a rocket.

Thanks Robert,

The list of considered systems are as follows:

Airmaster - US$6000+ For constant speed/controllable IFA

Woodcomp - US$3200 for manual IFA Varia model

Variprop - US$3000+ For a manual IFA system

Ivoprop Magnum - decent price but the blade twist mechanism is not desirable

Lightwing VIP2 - US$2600 for manual IFA

Bolly - IFA still in development but a good prospect for down track.

We have quite a few considerations for an IFA system for our Lightning Bug. For starters, we are using a stock Rotax 912ULS that we are getting 185ktas at maximum power from at the moment turning a 62" X 93" Prince P-tip prop. We want a prop that can get to 200ktas from the slow turning Rotax. This is more a blade issue but not all hubs allow the pitch change range that we would like, nor fitment of blades that are suitable for our application. We want to limit the weight of the system which precludes the heavier systems. Cost is a consideration...

I have recently visited Bolly in Adelaide where I viewed the Bolly IFA hub and discussed the suitability of Bolly blades to be flying at 200 knots. I would like to support the Australian industry and the guys at Bolly have been very cooperative in supporting our Bug program. I'd like to go with their blades if at all possible (they have a design for a high speed blade that was used on Robin Austins record breaking Rotax powered Sonerai) and I may end up with a set of these improved performance blades.

For initial testing of an IFA prop on the Bug, the Lightwing VIP2 offered a good price, a reasonable weight and the ability to fit the Bolly blades. I'm just looking for information relating to the safety, reliability and functionality of the system from actual users, rather than second hand stories that might not be accurate.

Dave

• Like 1