New Fuel lines on Savannah S

mcrowley

I've been reading with avid interest the experience of those who have built before me. As I'm working on my wings for my Savannah S, I have been noticing the posts regarding upgrading the fuel lines to avoid fumes in the cockpit. I gather that older kits have rubber fuel lines in the wings, with my new Savannah S kit, the fuel lines are aluminum tube with very short rubber hose connections. Has anyone built with this material? How are the fume issues with the latest material in the new kits? (solid tube lines). I haven't gotten to the point yet where I know what to do with the corrugated fuel lines...

mcrowley personally I know that some off the smell off fuel in the cabin is through neglect of following the instalation manual from rotax as there is no return line to the tank

the excess fuel is drained out onto the exhaust there for making fumes into cabin disregard the rotax installation manual at your own peril neil

mine has rubber fuel lines throughout, the only aluminium lines are under the floor from the header tank to the firewall water separating fuel filter. I just recently replaced ALL of the rubber fuel lines, (they were 5 years old) I made sure all the rubber fuel lines are rated for fuel use only and according to the hose people, the lines are fume proof, and since installing, have never had any fumes in the aircraft.

also, i do have a return fuel line setup.

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

All Savannah kits have a return line. some older ones only have one fuel sight gauge.

The corrugated silver pipes are for your water pipes and in newer kits also the oil cooler pipes up around the engine installation.