Flap Lever and Forward and Main Gear

dan tonner

My VG XL has experienced a couple of setbacks (no serious injuries) since being completed in the summer of 2014 - both involved a front fork tube collapse and all the associated prop/cowl damage that go along with that type of failure.

The second collapse occurred when the full flaperon lever position unintentionally released during the flare. The jury is still out whether the outcome would have been better or worse had the loss of full flap occurred earlier or later during the approach. That discussion is purely academic at this point. The real issue resides with design ergonomics. Mine is not the first unintentional flaperon release posted in this forum.

I am interested in other approaches to flaperon lever modifications such as the one developed by Mark Kyle and described in great detail in this forum.

During the second incident my main gear also folded under causing other damage. Both forward undercarriage mounting bolts had pulled through the lower support brackets. The bolts did not shear; they remained intact although bent rearwards; the brackets, still attached to the rearward bolts (also bent), prevented the main spring from completely separating from the airplane.

I offer this for two reasons:

• as a further example of the oft-mentioned front gear failures, and,

• to find out if other Sav owners have experienced similar main gear bracket failures.

During initial assembly, I felt there was very little fore-and-aft support at the outer ends of the main gear but could not visualize a method to rectify this.

Thoughts?

Fly safely,

Dan

• 1 year later...
My VG XL has experienced a couple of setbacks (no serious injuries) since being completed in the summer of 2014 - both involved a front fork tube collapse and all the associated prop/cowl damage that go along with that type of failure.The second collapse occurred when the full flaperon lever position unintentionally released during the flare. The jury is still out whether the outcome would have been better or worse had the loss of full flap occurred earlier or later during the approach. That discussion is purely academic at this point. The real issue resides with design ergonomics. Mine is not the first unintentional flaperon release posted in this forum.

I am interested in other approaches to flaperon lever modifications such as the one developed by Mark Kyle and described in great detail in this forum.

During the second incident my main gear also folded under causing other damage. Both forward undercarriage mounting bolts had pulled through the lower support brackets. The bolts did not shear; they remained intact although bent rearwards; the brackets, still attached to the rearward bolts (also bent), prevented the main spring from completely separating from the airplane.

I offer this for two reasons:

• as a further example of the oft-mentioned front gear failures, and,

• to find out if other Sav owners have experienced similar main gear bracket failures.

During initial assembly, I felt there was very little fore-and-aft support at the outer ends of the main gear but could not visualize a method to rectify this.

Thoughts?

Fly safely,

Dan

All repaired now Dan?

One guru here in Australia installs a stronger spring under the flap release knob to make it hold in the slot more positively, if that helps.

Thanks Rankamateur;

I had read here somewhere about the heavier spring under the flap lever button and have already done that. I am installing Mark's modified flap brackets to improve the lever positioning as well. I will reinforce the base of the new brackets with lengths of 3/4" extruded aluminum angle. I'll post a picture or two when finished.

Eightyknots: The airplane has been repaired and has flown about 30 hours since. I'm still working on an intermittent engine misfire that began last fall just before winter layup; I plan to be flying again shortly.

All the best, fly safely, Canada Dan