Busselton Aerofest Sunday 6th March

poteroo

Inviting everyone who attended to comment on this event from an RAAus pilots viewpoint.

I was there - had our Brumby 24-8554 on display in the 'prestige' viewing area. Also, lead our formation of 6 RV's in a formation display at 2pm.

Thought it very unfortunate that RAAus didn't have a separate static display/booth along with AOPA and AWPA in the hangar. Also, RAAus appear to have missed the possibility of having all RAAus registered aircraft parked in a separate and clearly signed area. There were plenty of us there - but scattered through the GA fleet of about 70-80.

All in all ......a great effort by Busselton Aero Club, and a message to RAAus to get cracking to ensure a full effort for the 2018 event. It's the WA aviation event of the year.

happy days,

Yep, we had possibly the largest static display there with two Foxbats and a marquee, 4 of us were representing Foxbat, SkySports Flying School and White Gum Air Park.

We are all impressed by the professionally run Aerofest. Busselton Aero Club should be proud of their achievement. A job well done presenting the largest fly-in and airshow in Western Australia. Looking forward to the wonderful hospitality in 2018.

Extremely disappointed in RA-Aus and a little angry considering they are in the state anyway. Not one ounce of representation at the states biggest airshow? Did they even attend? They didn't come to our stand. A missed opportunity at our expense... Grr

• Helpful 1

Yep, we had possibly the largest static display there with two Foxbats and a marquee, 4 of us were representing Foxbat, SkySports Flying School and White Gum Air Park.We are all impressed by the professionally run Aerofest. Busselton Aero Club should be proud of their achievement. A job well done presenting the largest fly-in and airshow in Western Australia. Looking forward to the wonderful hospitality in 2018.

Extremely disappointed in RA-Aus and a little angry considering they are in the state anyway. Not one ounce of representation at the states biggest airshow? Did they even attend? They didn't come to our stand. A missed opportunity at our expense... Grr

I did briefly speak with both the President and CEO - who said that they came over with the intention of helping establish RAAus better in WA. I asked them why such a rush to get over here, schedule 3 meetings which will draw 3 men and a dog - but ignore Aerofest. In any case, they arrived too late to speak at the opening of the event - not clever.Pointed out a need for them to work with the flying schools here - not make decisions in Canberra in complete ignorance of our needs. (seems to be something in the water over there?)

It's my intention to prepare a thought out proposal for RAAus to collaborate with their FTF's over here, and get behind an annual event...... Aerofest one year, and something else in the alternate year. Thinking about circular coms with all CFI's in WA to prepare a stronger proposal. Your thoughts?..... or, PM me as maybe we need to keep the politics off this site.

cheers,

Saw the Brumby..... built like a tank....... But looks to have the weight of one too. (Can't have everything!)

Impressive oleo front end and looks to have the toughest suspension.

Things like the strut and elevator/fin fairings would have looked better, finish wise, if molded in fiberglass.

Surprised at the number of aircraft flying in to attend. Arrivals and departures seemed to go smooth.

Easy when you have 900m each way from the center taxi way(Not many needed to backtrack...)

Had a very informative 2 hr public (RAA) meeting with RAA president and CEO today.

I was pleased with the presentation.

Seemed like very "switched on" people, moving the RAA forward at last.

Most, if not all members attending probably had the same opinion as me I think.

To be fair, at least they ARE over here talking to people, which is more than anyone else in the past has done.

Can't say I'm disappointed in what I saw and heard.

Shame they didn't get to talk to you York guys. Maybe next time.

I agree with all of the above regarding RAA involvement with the event. I actually had a look through the Airshow program and on the Map and info it showed a RAA information booth (where the cirrus was parked next to you Andrew) which obviously wasn't there. I actually asked the aero club members where the RAA was and they said they were also looking for them - apparently they arrived late.

It was certainly a well run event - reminded me of the Busselton Airshow of 2003 and 2004, in fact I think there may have been more visiting aircraft and more spectators than 03 and 04.

• Agree 1

We also attended one of the meetings (Cloud Dancer) on Tuesday. I voiced my opinion regarding their involvement at the show.

Apparently they were 'busy all day talking to the public'; at the Oz-Runways stand for some unknown reason?

In the meeting both acknowledged that communication, particularly to us westerners needs improving. Overall I do believe RAAus are doing a good job.

The meeting went for over two hours with many things discussed, I presume it was a similar discussion everywhere, topics ranging from with from the constitution (too may) to promotion and instruction.

Many technical issues were also discussed.

The meeting had an informal approach, which is good, both sat out at the front of perhaps a dozen people. I was surprised that they didn't take any notes at all. I couldn't help thinking all this may have all been just lip service. Will they remember all that was said when back in Canberra?

Yes, hopefully they sat down after each meeting and took some notes.

It would be good at the end of all these meetings to publish some sort of report on their findings and members concerns and opinions.

I'm hoping it just wasn't a blast around the country seeking support for constitutional changes.

That seemed the topic they mostly wanted to talk (sell) about.

I believe they need a vote of 75% or more "yes" voters to get it through.

• Agree 2

I'm hoping it just wasn't a blast around the country seeking support for constitutional changes.

That seemed the topic they mostly wanted to talk (sell) about.

I believe they need a vote of 75% or more "yes" voters to get it through.

Interesting, I appreciate it is Don's baby, but the people I speak to have grave reservations - but whether that is reflected in voting numbers or not is anybody's guess.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
In the meeting both acknowledged that communication, particularly to us westerners needs improving

I made particular mention of this, but their response was 'you have a Board member' That's not going to be the case in future as RAAus moves to a smaller Board and voted in on the basis of individual competencies/qualities - without any geographical requirement.

I think we need to try for some form of RAAus member meeting at future Aerofests - perhaps a members meetup with any visiting Board or staff member, then a CFI's discussion group would be useful. I'm also asking Aerofest if we can have a separate parking area for just RAAus rego aircraft.

If we want something in the 'in between' years, then maybe we have to start thinking about that event pretty soon. Autumn or Spring? RAAus only or GA as well? Not public?

Have just received the final numbers for aircraft visits to Busselton Aerofest. 121 were GA, and 24 were RAAus rego = total of 145 visiting aircraft. A very good response.

happy days,

Have just received the final numbers for aircraft visits to Busselton Aerofest. 121 were GA, and 24 were RAAus rego = total of 145 visiting aircraft. A very good response.

CORRECTION: 101 GA plus 24 RAAus = total 125 total.

Given the awkward crosswind that the only (03/21) runway suffers through summer, some of the arrivals were nothing short of breathtaking. Well done everyone, especially some of the classic taildraggers. YBSL can be quite challenging!

happy days,

At the meeting I attended, there was a loose proposal by the ceo and pres to form regional area "groups" with "get togethers" and discussions. A person would volunteer to organise and hold these, reporting back to the RAA.

One of the topics was that many members were isolated ( not only physically) from the RAA and their flying peers.

This would be a chance to make contact and communicate/discuss issues.

It was also a response to possibly losing our state based rep.

I am all for some kind of get together in the between years. I would like to include GA and encourage the Public if practical. An RAA representative should also be present, with plenty of promotional material!

We would be happy to host something at YWGM, though we would need lots of help and ideas :) ...