Class C/D

Ok this one is for the ATC gurus, possibly the controllers that are on here.

Ok flying from Townsville to Rockhampton this Thursday, actually flying further but thats first stop for fuel.

Rocky is Class D but also has Class C steps on top of the Class D. Is the Class C Rocky Approach still or is it Brissy Center. Do I still contact Rocky App for clearance or does the class C have to be BN Cen for clearance then RK App. Or is it easier just to fly a bit lower and stay out of it. More thinking of outbound, which will obviously be RK GND for clearance not APP, after refuelling. Wanting to pop up to 6500 if i can outbound but there is a class C ontop of the Class D which im pretty sure if i just climbed out i would stick my nose into.

Regards,

Rob

Class C normally be BN Centre, they will pass you into Rocky Tower by direct transmission. If you are unsure have a look at DAH, it's lists all the controlled airspace and who owns it.

ERSA says rocky tower handles both tower and approach in Class D (4500ft and below). So if you are flying into Class C contact BNE Centre on 119.55 first. Flying into Class D CTA, then contact tower for approach services. Likewise, flying into Class D CTA (ie 1000ft or less) then contact tower for clearance.

This info is also on the VNC (and possibly the VTC)

What level are you planning?

Check your charts. I think you will find that C LL FL125 to 45 miled Rocky DME. Drops to 8500' to 36 DME then 4500' to 22 DME

E is 8500 over most of the area but drops with the C and D steps. My normal descent would be easy just below the control steps.

Call Rocky tower and they will probably ask you to report abeam YAAMBA.

Yeah i have seen that and am pretty sure the Class C is not going to a problem but i also noticed in ERSA that there is a Rocky Approach. Is that they Class C or is it also the Class D CTA?

Rocky Approach is actually the tower during tower operating hours (the class D). At night an approach service is provided by Brisbane Centre to the base of controlled airspace.

So to answer your question, the Class C is Brisbane Centre, the Class D is Rocky Tower

Yeah i have seen that and am pretty sure the Class C is not going to a problem but i also noticed in ERSA that there is a Rocky Approach. Is that they Class C or is it also the Class D CTA?

What rhysmcc said. Rocky approach only handles the Class D approach (tower hours of course). So if you check you charts, rocky approach will be any of that Class D airspace above 1000ft. The Class C airspace is handled by BNE centre.

• 1 month later...

yeah I gave em a call a couple of days before. They were easy to deal with I planned to stay out of class c. Ended up low enough I went straight into CTR. Got lucky was a straight in approach as well so didn't have to think too much.

There is no required approach points at rocky so u can go direct if it suits I did coming in from the south. It is easier to fix your position over a vfr point though

I just flew direct from yday at 4500. I just called inbound when I was between mt gelobera and mt Isabel.

I just called up stating 25 miles south. That gave me a bit of a buffer if they wanted to get me to hold octa but wasnt an issue

Thanks Rob, I am used of flying into Archerfield and Bankstown with set points. Did you have your Transponder on 3000 when you called inbound?