Jabiru - Gyroscope

Frank & Russ - I followed Russ's advice and contacted Jabiru. Frank was correct. The slip indicator is not power driven and hence will continue to move even with the switch turned off. The turn indicator is the one that actually requires the gyro / power and the switch is to power the turn indicator.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Yes, but really you should know that. The ball is just a balance thing. A good turn indicator is calibrated for RATE (of yaw) and must use a gyro of some kind as reference. It's a valuable instrument for flying IFR on basic instruments. The artificial horizon makes it all much easier. As the name implies you fly it much the same as the natural horizon. Attitude flying principles. Some older AH's topple on a pitch limit and they are no use till reset in level flight. These have to be "caged" before doing unusual attitudes or aeros, or they may be damaged. Nev

• Helpful 1

Yes, that is why I am talking to you guys so that I can learn something. I always thought that it is very useful in case of an emergency if you suddenly lost sight of the horizon. Just wanted to make sure why the slip/turn coordinator worked with the switch off. I was unaware they worked independently of each other, and only the slip indicator was functional with the switch off. I have now been enlightened.

Anjum......there you go, jab have some faults, but assistance/ advise etc is not one of them. Hec......they even loaned me a radio few weeks back.

One thing tho........I hope you don't think coz you have a " turn indicator " you can use it as an aid ( loss of horizon/ cloud/ rain ) etc etc......you will surely come unstuck. Loosing your ground references is for the higher trained/ equiped pilots.

The whirring sound is to impress passengers that have no knowledge of aircraft or flying. Like all the flashing lights and beeping sounds that early computers had, just to impress the whuffos.

• Like 1

It usually means the bearings are on the way out. As far as turn coordinators, I wouldn't use one. Gyro instruments are expensive to buy and repair. Many go glass (which still rely on sensors). I believe a RAAus plane should be simple, not a downsized Jet cockpit. Many glass planes I've flown in U/L's have faults on the installation so you have to ignore some erroneous indications.

Most of our magnetic compasses are not high quality. Service compasses, like the original ones in a DH82 are high quality but still subject to the inevitable turning and acceleration errors, which used to take a lot of practice to master and were "swung" to make the correction cards mean something, to apply when cross country. Remember Compass Deviation Magnetic Variation True? CDMVT (Can Dead Men Vote Twice). Nev

• Informative 1

If you have these instruments - particuarly the "turn coordinator' type often fitted to cessnas, it would be a good idea to get familiar with the operation.

i prefer the bat / ball type turn & slip, as the aircraft shape indicator on a turn coordinator is not naturally intuitive especially when used in conjunction with a artificial horizon - where the aircraft marker is fixed and the ground/sky rotates instead.

and the turn coordinator, as fitted in the Cessna I trained in, the little aeroplane moves in the opposite direction to the true orientation in a turn, if it is powered off. You check these things on the ground before takeoff, to confirm correct function. Dont ask me how I know this.....

ralph

• Informative 1