Recreational Pilot Licence: Lesson #4 Circuit Training

Hey guys, got my first taste of circuits and real landing practice today. Im feeling a bit down after this lesson. After being bumped around all lesson due turbulence and three crap landings, Im starting to question whether its worth spending $200 every lesson for the experience. I guess every pilot during his training has moments like this and questions his decision to become a pilot.

ABOUT ROMEO JULIET WHISKEY:

I'm a student pilot learning to fly in my spare time. I originally received 30 hours of flying instruction 17 years ago and now I'm back in the cockpit and learning how to fly all over again.

Currently flying out of Wollongong (YWOL), Australia in light sport aircraft such as the Jabiru and Pipestrel alpha with Fly Illawarra:

Fly Illawarra: Fly Illawarra

Recreation Aviation Australia: Home - RAA

Jabiru aircraft: Home - Jabiru Aircraft & Engines Australia

Pipistrel alpha: http://www.pipistrel-usa.com/models/a...

• Like 2

Never question how much you spend I say as if you knew what you would spend on fun you would have a miserable life. Haha.

• Like 1

You have to enjoy the journey. Don't worry about being an awesome pilot ASAP too much.

It will all click.

I have asked to not bother with circuits when I just wasn't getting it. We'd just depart the circuit buzz around for the rest of lesson and I'd practice turns, slow flight and just enjoy the fact I was flying.

• Like 1

Idle speed a bit high and perhaps the rudder trim (fixed) could be adjusted if you need right foot pressure all the time. You'll get there. Keep in the middle of the runway and weight off the nosewheel as your "man "says. The Jab is a bit more demanding than what you have flown before. Nev

Idle speed a bit high and perhaps the rudder trim (fixed) could be adjusted if you need right foot pressure all the time. You'll get there. Keep in the middle of the runway and weight off the nosewheel as your "man "says. The Jab is a bit more demanding than what you have flown before. Nev

The Jab definately seems harder to land than what I remember with the tomahawk. Little more twitchy and you really have to work those rudder pedals!

I think the problem with my flare and landing is a parallax error im getting. I have to focus straight ahead during the flare rather than over the spinner so that i don't keep veering of to the left. If you are landing off to the left all the time like myself, you should check out this cool vid:

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

You can't take your money with you so, if you're not struggling to pay the bills and put food on the table then spend the money on flying. Once you ditch the instructor the costs should be a lot less. I spend $50 or so week just owning a Jab, that does not include flying it. Great video, you're doing well.

• Like 1

You're doing fine mate , just listen to your instructor ,which you appear to be doing, and it will all fall into place . He comes across as a capable instructor . Really a case of information overload at this stage, which happens to most people . Even high hour pilots make errors during their BFR, due to the presence of the instructor . You will be more relaxed when solo, so hang in there ..... Bob

• Agree 1

I've seen it make people with quite a few hours up in other aircraft, think they have "lost it". Don't over control, keep the weight off the nosewheel . Lots of weight will make it directionally unstable, and use positive rudder as required. Power changes will affect rudder needed but just give it what is necessary to put the plane where it must be pointing. Keep into wind aileron on in a x-wind. .You will be OK soon with a little more exposure. A bit of demanding weather is hard on the ego but good for experience. Nev

• Agree 1

Learning to fly aint like being on a train..... Its more like being on a roller coaster. I often wondered why is this so darned difficult ! But as each bit clicks in . It gets more satisfying.

• Like 1

It's just like driving your car (albeit from the other side of the "cockpit"). You don't look across the centre of the bonnet whilst driving, you look straight ahead over your side of it to assess where your car is going to go. Flying an aeroplane is no different unless you are seated in the centre of the cockpit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hey guys, got my first taste of circuits and real landing practice today. I'm feeling a bit down after this lesson. After being bumped around all lesson due turbulence and three crap landings, I'm starting to question whether its worth spending $200 every lesson for the experience. I guess every pilot during his training has moments like this and questions his decision to become a pilot.

Hi R.J.W,

Also a Student Pilot, currently at 8.4 hours, I have started Circuit Training, with 2 circuit lessons thus far, 01st lesson: 6 completed, 2 go around, scared the crap out of me, but listened to my instructor, on number 05 he said nothing, it was all up to me, was it textbook? No but a slap on the shoulder, said "Full Power" and around we went again, felt 10 feet high until I had to do it again, number 06, I muffed it and came into low, but did manage to recover and put all 3 wheels on the tarmac and vacate the rwy safely

But as Peter, my instructor had stated, so far I have spent 1 hour on Effect of Controls, 1 hour on Straight & Level, 1 hour on Climb & Descend, 1 hour on Turns and 1 Hour on Stalls, so on that day I had to take all that training totaling 5 hours and jam it into a 3 and 1/2 minute flight, second Circuit Lesson was just as worse, I had not flown for a month and on that day for what ever reason I had a very heavy left foot and so my take offs & landings were just crap, again after a good telling off from Peter on getting my head in the game I came right and started to use that right rudder and regained some confidence again

I also was questioning my flying future after those 2 circuit lessons, I pay an average of $ 265 to $310 for an hour or plus, so to date I have chipped in nearly $2400, thankfully with the support of my wife, Deb. When discussing my flying future with her, she promptly stated, this is your dream, I am happy to support and we will will always find the money to pay for it, its your choice to quit or not, so stop putting so much pressure on yourself, if you dont enjoy it, walk away, if you do, hang in there, it will get better, and of course she is right again.....

So I look at it all little differently now, with a more clearer focus, I have stopped putting so much pressure on myself and try to remember to enjoy it as well, after all, I must be doing something right to get to where I am now, for me its a massive achievement to have the skills learned thus far to actually complete takeoffs, complete circuits and albeit with an instructor beside me, but after all I am the one at the controls, he or she is there to guide and mentor me in the right and safe way to achieve my dream, so hang in there, I am going to and after all, if's its more practice, more time in the air required to achieve your dream, that's never a bad thing after all

Brent

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

It's a long haul to become a safe and competent pilot, requiring a considerable knowledge base ( have a look at the highly regarded John Brandon's Tutorials on this site ) . Even with 30 or so hours up and a freshly minted Pilot Certificate, resist the temptation to become over-confident, which often occurs with new pilots . You will probably have a passenger endorsement by then and anxious to share your accomplishment with others, but it may be better to consolidate your training ,without the additional passenger responsibility in the event that something out of the ordinary occurs , as it often does . And don't forget. .... " a good pilot is always learning " ..... Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wise words Bob, especially regarding the pax endoresment. 30 hrs experience doesn't sound like much to start taking family/friends up flying. I think I'll wait until I'm flying the plane, rather than it flying me which is how it feels for me half the time at the moment :)

RJW, flew gliders some 26 years ago, recently did my second flight in a drifter, went cross country and first two legs were a breeze, last leg home was like being on a crazed rodeo bronco and had similar thoughts, but you get days like that and its best you know how to handle your aircraft when those conditions catch you out, and as the owner/pilot kept saying to me, height is your friend, as others have said to you it will all click into place so keep going and good luck, weatherman may also be your other friend.

• Like 1

If you're having trouble getting your eyes to look further ahead try this.

Once you flare look at the far threshold and use your peripheral vision out each side of the cockpit to judge your hold off altitude and your lateral position on the RWY (equal amounts of RWY on each side). This is a good technique to practice, especially if you want to have a go on taildraggers where the cowl blocks the forward view and you have to rely completely on your peripheral view.

The one other thing that I would suggest is to ease your grip on the stick. Try to remember that a training aircraft that is well trimmed is very stable and all you have to do is guide it to where you want to go. If you're gripping the stick to tightly you will tend to over control it and use to many control inputs (continuously fighting it). If you can get yourself to relax you will soon find that the plane will do most of the hard work by itself.

Otherwise I think you're doing pretty good. Importantly, you're picking up most of your mistakes quickly with minimal input and you're displaying a high level of airmanship, especially for this stage in your training.

548693709_Screenshot2016-06-19at1_54_35PM.png.2c769b4fe7a9eb90a2727ea5ee64d92d.png

• Informative 2

Hi Guys,

I can say that you do need to have regular lessons, once a week if possible, I just had 3 weeks off from flying, weather and having to work on the weekend and a sick CFI, I went up with my instructor for a pre certificate flight on Friday and I can tell you the only thing that I think I did ok was my landings and my stalls but my radio calls were absolutely terrible and I put it all down to lack of flying, it seems time in the air practicing all that I have learnt is the ticket.

Everyone has an ordinary day RJW so don't be down on yourself just enjoy the time, it will all click into place, and it did seem like you had a rough day with turbulence, the next time you go out it will be smooth and you will nail it. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

David

• Agree 1

If you're having trouble getting your eyes to look further ahead try this.Once you flare look at the far threshold and use your peripheral vision out each side of the cockpit to judge your hold off altitude and your lateral position on the RWY (equal amounts of RWY on each side). This is a good technique to practice, especially if you want to have a go on taildraggers where the cowl blocks the forward view and you have to rely completely on your peripheral view.

The one other thing that I would suggest is to ease your grip on the stick. Try to remember that a training aircraft that is well trimmed is very stable and all you have to do is guide it to where you want to go. If you're gripping the stick to tightly you will tend to over control it and use to many control inputs (continuously fighting it). If you can get yourself to relax you will soon find that the plane will do most of the hard work by itself.

Otherwise I think you're doing pretty good. Importantly, you're picking up most of your mistakes quickly with minimal input and you're displaying a high level of airmanship, especially for this stage in your training.

[ATTACH=full]43843[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the tips Nick. The peripheral vision is a good idea for judging flare height - Ill try and remember that one next lesson.

Yeah. Im really gripping that yoke ...lol ... interesting you picked up on that. Usually when I finish a lesson I have to straighten my fingers out they are that stiff and cramped. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Don't be hard on your self, I would never have put my first effort at landing a Jab on Youtube, but it is great to see. You are just overloaded and still are not coordinated.

Take your time, the Jabiru will give you flying skills no GA plane will provide and Bruce seems like a cool instructor with a lot of patience. Good luck with your training, enjoy the experience and don't worry about wasting money, because you did not...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Phild0
Hey guys, got my first taste of circuits and real landing practice today. Im feeling a bit down after this lesson. After being bumped around all lesson due turbulence and three crap landings, Im starting to question whether its worth spending $200 every lesson for the experience. I guess every pilot during his training has moments like this and questions his decision to become a pilot.

Guest Phild0

hey RJW I am enjoying your videos

keep them coming!

just taking delivery of an Alpi 300 ZK PJM this week and looking forward to learning how to fly her....a little different from my glider!

Phil

hey RJW I am enjoying your videoskeep them coming!

just taking delivery of an Alpi 300 ZK PJM this week and looking forward to learning how to fly her....a little different from my glider!

Phil

Glad you enjoy the videos Phil! I'm flying once a week so there are plenty more videos to come.

Never heard of the Alpi before, but looks like a nice plane from the images I saw on Google. Looks like you will have lots of fun with her :)

I got my RPL and Ra-aus conversion in a J160 recently and "a piece of tape" on the dash really helped me early on.

Whilst on the ground line the plane up with anything straight and then put a piece of tape across the dash to align your view from the LH seat with the straight orientation.

Using this cured me of not using enough right rudder.

• Like 1

I got my RPL and Ra-aus conversion in a J160 recently and "a piece of tape" on the dash really helped me early on.Whilst on the ground line the plane up with anything straight and then put a piece of tape across the dash to align your view from the LH seat with the straight orientation.

Using this cured me of not using enough right rudder.

Good tip! I wish I could paint a permanent line on the engine cowling ... It would solve a lot of problems for a lot of students.

The Jab definately seems harder to land than what I remember with the tomahawk. Little more twitchy and you really have to work those rudder pedals!I think the problem with my flare and landing is a parallax error im getting. I have to focus straight ahead during the flare rather than over the spinner so that i don't keep veering of to the left. If you are landing off to the left all the time like myself, you should check out this cool vid:

Can so relate to this my instructor calls me right rudder where's my attitude so much I think i'll change my name lol

• Haha 1