Flying out of OZ with OZ PPL

eddchu99

Hi all,

I have just gotten my Australian PPL and wondering if I could exercise my licence out of the country coz I am actually from Hong Kong and would love to explore the world with a C172. Is there anyone who could share your experience of flying in other parts of the world? Probably South East Asia?

Eddie

NZ validation of foreign licence

VALIDATIONS AT PPL LEVEL

A Validation Permit is not a pilot licence but a short term document which, subject to applicable conditions, allows the holder to exercise the privileges of their current overseas flight crew licence in NZ registered aircraft for which they hold a type rating or equivalent in their home country.

It not possible for the holder of a NZ validation permit to gain additional type ratings or any other additional qualifications as these may only be issued to NZ licence holders.

NZ Validation Permits are available for overseas licensed pilots who wish to fly solo or carry passengers on private day operations in NZ registered aircraft in NZ airspace. These are valid for a maximum of six months, but if the applicants overseas BFR or medical certificate expire within the six month period, the validity period of the permit is reduced accordingly.

Full details of the validation process may be seen on our website www.caa.govt.nz

On the homepage, under “Aviation Info”, click on "Pilots /For pilots from other countries (and Australian PPL holders)- Getting your licence recognised in NZ " The appropriate information is on pages 2 and 3. under the heading “Short term validation of overseas flight crew licences”. You may download and print the permit application form via the link shown in para 2 on page 2.

It is important to note that applicants must hold a fully current overseas flight crew licence (at least an unrestricted PPL aeroplane or helicopter), meet the full NZ PPL flight experience requirements and complete a NZ Biennial Flight Review (BFR) at a NZ flight training organisation. Current means that the applicants overseas medical certificate must be unexpired and any competency requirement (BFR equivalent) laid down by their home state for currency of the licence itself must also be up to date.

Applicants must meet all the NZ PPL minimum flight experience requirements (including 5 hour dual instrument instruction and 10 hours cross-country training; 5 hrs dual and 5 hrs solo); these are promulgated in Advisory Circular AC61-3. This AC may be seen on the CAA website www.caa.govt.nz “Quick Links /Advisory Circulars / AC61-3”

Applicants seeking to exercise the privileges of an overseas PPL(A) must meet the applicable terrain and weather awareness (TAWA)requirements as laid out in AC61-3.

Where applicable, applicants should be able to provide logbook evidence to the instructor conducting the BFR that identify any past training that may be credited towards the TAWA requirements and also when they undertake the NZ BFR, the instructor is to include some low flying and terrain awareness with this exercise and note proficiency in the applicants log book.

Applicants seeking to exercise the privileges of an overseas PPL(H) must meet the mountainous terrain awareness training requirements as laid out in AC61-3.

Overseas pilots must produce all their current documentation (licence, medical certificate and pilot log book) to a NZ Category A or B flight instructor.

All applicants are required to meet the ICAO English Language Proficiency (ELP) requirements.

This may achieved in one of two ways, either they must have ELP endorsed to at least ICAO level 4 on their overseas licence; or if such an endorsement is not held, they are required to complete ELP in NZ.

No NZ air law exam is required, appropriate theory must be covered during the ground phase of each BFR.

Only those aircraft types for which an applicant holds an overseas type rating and a minimum of 5 hours pilot-in-command experience on type will be recognized and endorsed on a NZ validation permit . However, if they come from an ICAO state that does not issue individual type ratings they must have at least 5 hours pilot-in-command experience logged on each type they wish to operate in NZ.

Following the successful completion of the BFR process, application is made to made to CAA for issue of the permit using form CAA 24061/18.

A list of the items that must be sent to CAA with each application for a NZ validation permit is contained in the 24061/18 form.

When properly completed paperwork is received in the CAA licensing office, the issue process is generally completed in between 3 and 5 working days. This time depends on workload at the time; applications are processed in the order in which they are received.

Please note: Pilots who do not meet at least the NZ PPL minimum flight experience requirements, or who cannot produce a current overseas licence, current overseas medical certificate and pilot logbook and are not eligible to enter into this process. There will be no exceptions to these requirements.

To save time later, you may complete most of the paperwork in advance.

Forward the completed 24061/18 form, with all the items other than 4. (BFR) included as per the applicant’s checklist on page 2 of the form.

A permit would be issued as soon as we receive confirmation that the pilot concerned has completed a NZ biennial flight review; please E mail or fax details to this office at the appropriate time.

• Informative 1

Hi all,I have just gotten my Australian PPL and wondering if I could exercise my licence out of the country coz I am actually from Hong Kong and would love to explore the world with a C172. Is there anyone who could share your experience of flying in other parts of the world? Probably South East Asia?

Eddie

If you have a CASA PPL and are flying a VH registered aircraft you do not have to go through any conversion or validation process. Your license is valid world wide.

If you want to fly an aircraft registered in another country then the rules will be a little bit different. For instance as AVE8RR has posted in NZ you can get a validation that lets you fly an NZ registered aircraft in NZ, note this dosent let you fly a NZ registered elsewhere in the world like a full NZ licence would.

The FAA is similar to the NZ system. To get a validation you have to apply with the appropriate paperwork. CASA confirm to the FAA that you have a license and then they issue the valuation. You have to do a BFR with a FAA instructor to be able to use it but there is no formal theory test.

Depending on what you want to do there are different ways to go. For instance if you really want to explore the world in a 172 then there is nothing to stop you(other than a lot of money) buying one, registering it in OZ and heading off to other countries.

Thanks a lot guys for the info, what I mean by exploring the world with a c172 is just to rent a cessna in different countries and fly within there instead. That sounds like I can simply apply for the NZ validation and rent a cessna in NZ without doing any formal theory tests? Just a company check ride will do? That is really awesome!!

Yes that is the case. You just have to be sure that you meet the countries minimum experience requirements. For instance in the NZ case you need 5 hours instrument training. If you have a CASA licence the minimum is 3 hours so you might not meet the NZ requirements if you have only just got your licence. The FAA has night requirements but from memory(I could be wrong here) I think you can get a day only validation.

O that will be cool cause I also have my Hong Kong Licence which requires at least 5 hours of instrument so that should be fine. Thanks for your info and I should plan about my NZ flying vacation!!!

Don't be suprised if the local operator makes you do an air law exam and a check flight, they do have to satify there insurance.

So even though an evaluation is all that is needed legaly, I could nearly bet you that no one would hire you an aircraft without checking you out first.

Yes that is the case. You just have to be sure that you meet the countries minimum experience requirements. For instance in the NZ case you need 5 hours instrument training. If you have a CASA licence the minimum is 3 hours so you might not meet the NZ requirements if you have only just got your licence. The FAA has night requirements but from memory(I could be wrong here) I think you can get a day only validation.

There is also a compulsory minimum 5 hours of mountain flying requirement for the New Zealand PPL. Almost everyone lives about a ten minute flight from mountains in Enzed.

• Informative 1