Parafield collision

Hey Dick,Do you have anymore advice to Carruthers?

Always love a bit of wit with learning.

Phil

Dick produced a number of such literary gems but I think I should leave it to him to post some more if he wishes.

Or you could join the Coldstream crew and enjoy lots of benefits

Kaz

i tried to join but not allowing that on the site.But I did find his articles and will enjoy them if that is ok

I sure it's ok as long as you attribute any publication to Dick...fair dealing under copyright.

Kaz

• Like 1

The only comment I'd make about Dick's excellent hand starting article is in regards to #6. Pulling a prop backwards to clear oil from cylinders is not recommended, as it potentially moves the oil into the intake manifold. When the engine starts, this oil may be pulled back into the engine resulting in conrod damage.

Yes, that is quite true. Since writing that article I have read that Pratt & W state this with respect to their radial engines which really do have an issue with hydraulic-ing . The reason for winding backwards in the Tiger Moth days was purely for safety: because the impulse coupling did does not work backwards, there was less chance of an accident start and the aircraft bolting.

Now days there is an additional reason: many dry vacuum pumps have trailing vanes and these easily break when rotated backwards.

Frankly, I have always rotated it forward but the Tiger drivers I notice seem to almost always rotate backwards.

Thanks for the comment.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hey Dick,Do you have anymore advice to Carruthers?

Always love a bit of wit with learning.

Phil

Yes I have a bunch of them Phil although some of them get a little dated with changing regulations.

I have since located a real Carruthers flying around in an A380 so the need for caution. Try the attached for starters.

Prop- IT'S CLOSER THAN YOU THINK 1992-08.pdf

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, if you can get your hands on old copies of Planetalk (RVAC), there were many a gem of articles to Carruthers!

G'Day Dick - how goes it? Long time no speak, but hopefully will be renting a plane out of YCEM mid 2017.

Rgds,

Lance

Of course, if you can get your hands on old copies of Planetalk (RVAC), there were many a gem of articles to Carruthers!G'Day Dick - how goes it? Long time no speak, but hopefully will be renting a plane out of YCEM mid 2017.

Rgds,

Lance

Jerry Atrick already Lance?

Looking forward to catching up next year then.

Thanks for the response.

Cheers,

Dick.